The Admission Counselor will work as part of a team of admission professionals responsible for recruiting and selecting a class of entering first year students that fulfills a range of enrollment goals. The Admission Counselor is responsible for developing and executing a data-informed virtual and in-person recruitment strategy for their assigned recruitment territories. Recruitment activities may include high school visits, college fairs, interviews, and information sessions. This position will also be responsible for reading first year admission applications through a holistic review process, including making terminal decisions on application files. They will also serve as a voting member of the admission selection committee. The Admission Counselor will be expected to conduct work that supports the College’s enrollment goals, be able to articulate the benefits of a liberal arts education, and use professional judgment in determining suitable candidates for admission to Grinnell. This person will also serve as a member of one or more project-based teams, including Communications/Marketing, Campus Visits & Event Planning, and/or Multicultural Recruitment. Extensive travel and evening/weekend work is required.
• Familiarity with selective liberal arts and sciences institution preferred.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills
• Appreciation for the value of the liberal arts and of diverse cultures, backgrounds, and experiences
• Successful track record as a valued team member who can work collaboratively, listen to others and give and take direction as needed
• Must possess creative initiative, flexibility, and ability to exercise discretion
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies including staff, faculty, students, alumni, and third-party vendors
• Ability to serve as an ambassador of the College with availability to work evenings or weekends as needed
• Values diversity, equity and inclusion