STUDENT ADVISOR - PART TIME
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Reports to the Director of Counseling and Testing and is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Counsels and advises students concerning career plans and courses to take;
- Talks to students about interests, aptitudes, values, etc.;
- Uses interest inventories and other test results to guide students in their career plans and decisions;
- Provides registration information to current and potential college students and assists students with course selection;
- Assists students in the admissions/registration process;
- Provides counseling support for “at risk” students;
- Assists the department with secondary support for students with disabilities and veterans services.
- Prepares and presents programs for recruitment and career development for colleagues and students and implements special projects as assigned;
- Supports the student success initiatives of the department;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Two (2) years of experience working with students in higher education (desirable experiences are in student advisement and/or student conduct);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal, and organizational skills;
- Computer competency;
- Demonstrated ability working with culturally diverse populations;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Other qualities, experiences, and skills that enhance one’s value to the institution;
- Exceptional employment or educational qualifications may be given special consideration.
Master’s degree and student counseling/advising experience