Staff Athletic Trainer
Staff Athletic Trainer
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-294-2217.
Staff Athletic Trainer
Staff Athletic Trainers
The Assistant Athletic Trainer will provide athletic training services for assigned sports of the Intercollegiate Athletic Department. This individual will be responsible for all facets of health-care delivery for the assigned teams and works as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, consisting of athletic trainers, physical therapists, and physical therapist assistants.
1. Performs appropriate Athletic Training Assessment of patient and determines method of care and referral by:
- Demonstrating advanced knowledge of diagnosis and conditions seen in an athletic setting.
- Performing and interpreting Athletic Training evaluation identifying actual or potential problems that would impair treatment plan.
- Establishing specific treatment goals based on results of initial assessment.
- Selecting appropriate therapeutic procedures.
- Interacting with patients and staff to gain cooperation in designing the plan and care of goals.
- Coordinating communication of athlete's injuries to physicians, coaches and/or parents.
2. Implements and manages a specific and comprehensive treatment plan by:
- Demonstrating advanced skills in the delivery of Athletic Training procedures.
- Developing awareness and use of proper safety measures regarding patients, others in the treatment area, and his or her self.
- Re-assessing patient's status in response to treatment and goal achievement.
- Redefining problems and modifying goals and treatment as indicated.
- Participating in the release of patients and follow-up care, or maintenance care if needed.
3. Complies with the policies of the Sportsmedicine Center for documentation of services rendered by:
- Documenting all aspects of assessment, planning and treatment in the medical record in a timely and legible manner.
- Making entries on appropriate forms for the referral of all patients to other healthcare providers.
- Making appropriate entries into the computer record keeping system.
- Maintaining health records of athletes including health history, pre-participation exams, insurance information, referrals to health services, reports of diagnosis and follow-up care.
4. Participates in the development and planning activities of the Sportsmedicine Department by:
- Taking on new programs, both in research and implementation, at the request of the Director of Sports Medicine.
- Participating in the evaluation and revisions of existing programs and services.
- Participating in evaluation reviews, both of the staff and the programs, to ensure increased standards of excellence.
5. Assists Head Athletic Trainer and Director of Sportsmedicine in facility maintenance responsibilities for all Sports Medicine facility by:
- Evaluating equipment and repair needs for location.
- Assisting in placing work orders and requesting equipment purchases.
6. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, and students interns to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information, and make suggestions related to mutual goals.
Frequent contact with other departments, students, parents, community groups, the general public, physicians, and coaches to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices of functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or crosscheck.
Reports To: Head Athletic Trainer.
Work is performed independently on routine work, non-routine issues or questions are referred to the supervisor.
Master Degree with 2-3 years experience in related field.
South Carolina licensure certification.
Work is performed under usual office and athletic setting conditions.
- Daily exposure to varied weather conditions.
- Frequent exposure to dust and light intensity.
- Daily reaching and handling.
- Daily stooping and kneeling.
- Daily pushing and pulling.
- Daily lifting and carrying.
- Daily climbing and balancing.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Staff-Athletic-Trainer_R001189
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.