The purpose of this position is to provide operational support and assistance to the General Manager for catering operations for personnel, management of fiscal resources, food production, hiring, training, purchasing, inventory, quality standards, and health/safety compliance for a large on-premise and off-premise catering operation. Provide flexible and responsive customer service in all operations within the unit structure. Together with the team of other catering managers, provide unit leadership daily in the absence of the assistant director for catering operations for assigned shifts and events. This position exists to help ensure that quality food, beverage, and customer service is provided to our clients and to manage the day-to-day activities of the event's division of CDS Catering.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Campus Dining Services exists to provide 3.3 million meals per year for the students, staff, faculty, and guests of the university. Campus Dining Services is comprised of Residential Dining Halls, Catering and Retail outlets that operate year-round. Campus Dining leads the industry with outstanding quality food and exceptional dining experiences. We continue to expand our sustainability initiatives and reduce our carbon footprint in our daily operations, including efforts in resource recovery, conservation, and food sourcing. We are committed to providing options and information to all of our guests with dietary restrictions and allergens, including vegan, vegetarian, kosher, and halal choices, supported by a strong allergen awareness program called A9 ® Identified.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Operations Management and Planning
Plans the execution of an average of 25 daily catering orders by prioritizing staff schedule, coordinating deliveries with sales office and production staff, working with custodial/set-up crews for special setups, coordinating equipment needs, and checking equipment.
Execution of Deliveries
Directs and assists with the execution of orders by printing daily order reports from the computerized food management system, crafting daily flow sheets, pulling stock from stores and production areas for all catering orders, and determining departure and arrival timeline for trucks. Must ensure timely, high quality, and efficient product and service. Supervises staff to assemble, deliver and pick up all daily orders. Must complete the same duties as employees, including driving and loading-trucks, pushing carts, and pulling stock. Is responsible for 2nd shift orders and closing shift procedures to include accurate cleaning of equipment and work areas. Drives university vehicles in order to execute catering orders.
Recruits, interviews, hires, plans, and leads training sessions for catering staff on catering procedures and customer service, and setup design. Performs evaluations for staff, both classified/university and students. Maintains procedures and guidelines to promote a high quality, well-functioning catering operation by solving problems, dealing with personnel issues, communicating with other managers, developing a well-trained staff, and updating manuals and training methods.
Cost and Quality Control
Controls expenses by determining the accurate number of staff hours needed and auditing computerized timekeeping system data, ensuring proper amounts of product delivered, ensuring the appropriate handling of leftovers, and the proper use and storage of equipment.
Responsible for maintaining par inventories of paper and plastic, delivery equipment, dry food staples, and set up decorations. Responsible for truck maintenance to include mileage reports, preventative maintenance, delivery supplies, equipment cleanliness, and coordination of vehicle repairs. Ensures all staff authorized to drive university vehicles maintain their driving status and required documentation.
Safety and Sanitation
Ensures compliance with health, safety, and sanitation practices by instructing employees in established food handling practices, safety procedures, driver safety, and university vehicle policies.
This position regularly fills in for absent workers by performing a wide variety of foodservice work: serving, cooking, stocking, setting up delivery orders, working events as either a manager or working and filling in when needed in other areas of Food Service, including cashiering in retail areas. Is often encouraged to work alone.
What We Can Offer
The salary for this position is $48,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Empowered. Be Successful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- ServSafe certified and/or certificate appropriate for the position level or the ability to obtain ServSafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level within 6 months of hire. Must possess appropriate ServSafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level for the duration of employment with CDS.
- Able to work weekends, workdays in excess of eight hours, and alternating shifts.
- Valid Colorado driver's license.
- Necessary Special Requirements: Must be able to acquire and maintain commercial motor vehicle (CMV) license, and successful completion of University of Colorado's Safety Training Program within 90 days of employment to operate vehicles crucial to the position.
What You Will Need
- Ability to work in a team-driven environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Passion in daily approach to work, great communication skills, and a strong ability to effectively connect with internal and external customers while working under timelines.
- Passion for working with the student population.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Previous experience in university catering food service, alumni relations, or hospitality events management.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by June 13, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder