Food Chemistry Lab Manager
The Food Chemistry Lab Manager position will support the Food Science and Technology department by being responsible for all food chemistry laboratories, this includes understanding and utilizing food chemistry and analysis equipment and instrumentation, and assisting faculty, graduate students and undergraduate students with research. This position will support FST’s teaching, research and extension functions by:
- Assisting in the method development and performance of chemical analysis related projects for professors, graduate students and undergraduate researchers,
- Assisting in the design and performance of research for collaborative industry and university projects,
- Assisting in oversight of the enology testing labs receipt and analysis of samples. Conducting analysis in accordance with TTB and other standard methodology
-Train and assist staff positions involved in day to day testing and interpretation of enology testing samples.
- Conducting statistical analysis, writing reports and presenting results,
- Keeping laboratory standard operating procedures current and available for use,
- Instructing students, faculty and staff on proper laboratory procedures,
- Performing and keeping records of laboratory safety training for students, faculty and staff,
- Maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing departmental instruments
BS degree or equivalent training and experience in food science or related area; Effective communication in oral and written form is essential; Ability to instruct students, staff, and faculty on proper laboratory procedures and have the ability to work on several projects concurrently in diverse areas such as processed foods, beverages and food ingredients; Experience in gas chromatography, UV/VIS spectroscopy, HPLC, Food Microbiology, macro and micro chemical analysis of foods, electronic
Master’s Degree; Considerable experience in food analysis, food chemistry, food processing, and food packaging is preferred.
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dr. Renee Boyer at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: May 28, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Science & Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg