Sociology and Interdisciplinary Social Sciences Lecturer Pool
The Department of Sociology and Interdisciplinary Social Sciences offers a BA degree program in Sociology (concentrations in Community Change, Social Interaction, Race and Ethnic Studies, and Women, Gender, & Sexuality) and Minors in Asian American Studies, Sociology, Sociology of Education, and Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies. With approximately 700 majors and 35 faculty members, SISS is a growing and vibrant department community. Learn more about our department at https://www.sjsu.edu/siss/ .
Brief Description of Duties
The Department of Sociology and Interdisciplinary Social Sciences (SISS) at San José State University invites applications for lecturer faculty to teach one section of Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender Studies ( SOCI 172 ) during the fall 2021 semester. The performance of instructional responsibilities extends beyond duties in the classroom and includes activities such as: preparation for class, evaluation of student performance, syllabus preparation and revision, holding regular office hours, review of current literature and research in the subject area, regular assessment of course and program learning outcomes and pedagogical improvements.
Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not, must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access to this system prior to the semester start date.
- Masters degree in sociology or related field from an accredited university
- Commitment to, and demonstrated potential for, teaching excellence as evidenced through satisfactory performance in prior academic appointments and/or advanced knowledge of the subject matter to which the individual is assigned teach
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a collegial atmosphere of shared governance.
- Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline to which the individual is assigned.
- Ability to teach and evaluate adult learners. Evidence of satisfactory achievement in previous academic work.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity
to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might
have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and
other comparable experience.
- Doctorate in sociology or related field from an accredited university
- Experience teaching in the area
- Experience with Canvas Learning Management System (LMS)
- Experience teaching at a CSU
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range - Commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (optional)
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
To receive full consideration, applications should be received by June 7.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: May 28, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Ethnic & Multicultural Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose