Job Code/Title PD - Post Doctoral Position Number P00001 Working Title Postdoctoral Fellow Department Pharmacotherapy & Outcomes Science Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $54,144-$56,712 Campus MCV Campus Position Type Post Doc Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Research Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant. Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
The Department of Pharmacotherapy & Outcomes Sciences invites you to apply for our Postdoctoral Fellow position in the laboratory of Dr. Mary Peace McRae. The McRae lab studies the interplay between HIV and opioids on factors that may impact antiretroviral efficacy within the brain, including the blood-brain barrier, drug transport proteins, antiretroviral concentrations, and immune cell recruitment into the brain.
The candidate will have the opportunity to integrate functional assays as well as basic cellular and molecular approaches aimed at elucidating how opioid abuse may alter HIV outcomes in the CNS . The candidate will join a multi-investigator team (Drs. Mary Peace McRae, Kurt Hauser and Pam Knapp) that utilizes pharmacological, immunological, and behavioral strategies to explore opioid- HIV interactions in murine (in vitro and in vivo) and human (in vitro) models. Cutting-edge imaging facilities, which include structured illumination and multiphoton microscopy are available.
The postdoctoral fellow will participate in NIH -funded research projects and get comprehensive training in translational therapeutics. The successful applicant will need to be interested with mentoring and supporting graduate students and have the skills to do so, as well as work in collaboration with a larger and more diverse group of scientists working on the project at other sites. They will participate in the experimental design, execution, analysis and evaluation of ongoing funded research aims in lab. There is also an expectation that the postdoc will participate in general housekeeping of lab and ordering of reagents. The candidate will be provided with significant training in the disciplines with which they are less familiar, and will receive significant mentoring to facilitate their transition to an independent research career.
• MD, PhD or equivalent degree in pharmacology, neuropharmacology, pharmaceutical sciences, neuroscience, immunology or related field.
• This position requires a motivated candidate, who has excellent oral and written communications skills.
• The candidate must have the ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative research group.
• The desire to be a leader in the laboratory by providing mentorship to graduate students.
• Work through problems logically and apply innovative solutions.
• Use scientific literature and database resources in the execution of project related work.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
Training and experience in a selection of these skills/techniques:
• Animal handling and surgical skills
• Cell Culture
• Basic or advanced knowledge and expertise in neuroscience
• Basic or advanced knowledge and expertise in clinical pharmacology, including drug transport proteins
• Basic or advanced knowledge in immunology and expertise
• Excellent organizational skills
• Experience and expertise in flow cytometry
• Experience with brain imaging techniques such as fMRI, PET
Job Open Date 05/28/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/106497 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document