Chemistry Stockroom and Chemistry Facilities Manager
Chemistry Stockroom and Chemistry Facilities Manager
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $700 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Whitman College is building a diverse academic community and especially encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's learning environment. Whitman College is an EEO employer.
The Chemistry Stockroom and Chemistry Facilities Manager (12-month position) provides skilled and specialized support to the academic program of the Department of Chemistry of the Division of Basic Sciences & Mathematics (Division III) and the chemical safety program associated with the Chemistry Department.
Responsibilities include: general management of the chemistry stockroom and laboratory assistants; tracking and maintaining inventory; procuring, preparing and setting out chemicals and equipment for classes and research labs; budget management; performing testing and maintenance on selected instruments and equipment; manage repairs of facilities and selected equipment, processing hazardous chemical waste in compliance with state and federal regulations; and supervising the safe handling of hazardous chemical waste.
ORDER AND MAINTAIN SUPPLIES
- Maintain the supply of chemicals and equipment for the Department of Chemistry.
- Order chemicals, equipment and supplies in a timely manner.
- Maintain an accurate, readily accessible electronic master inventory of chemicals and supplies.
PREPARE MATERIALS AND ROOMS FOR LABORATORY CLASSES
- Prepare, organize, set out, and maintain reagents, equipment and supplies for student laboratory classes according to specifications provided by Chemistry faculty.
- Test procedures and equipment in advance of course.
- Prepare and maintain student laboratory stations and lab rooms prior to the beginning of each semester and throughout the semester.
- Clean and reset the rooms as necessary.
- Implement safety protocols and ensure compliance with federal, state, local, and departmental safety protocols.
- Coordinate with the college Chemical Hygiene and Safety Officer to provide for safe storage, collection, labeling, and disposal of chemicals and waste.
- Maintain a line of communication with faculty about these practices and activities.
- Maintain current SDS sheets for all materials Within the Chemistry Department
- Maintain department licenses and compliance with the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board and the Department of Ecology including required inspections and reports.
- Maintain an up-to-date Chemistry Department budget, coordinating with the college's budget system that is always accessible to the department faculty.
- Handle invoices, payments, and accounts with suppliers.
SUPERVISE STUDENT LAB ASSISTANTS
- Hire, train, and supervise student assistants.
- Model superior chemical standard operating procedures to students working in the stockroom.
PROVIDE GENERAL DEPARTMENT SUPPORT
- Manage special requests from faculty and students for support, such as requests for equipment, SDSs or chemicals.
- Help devise, set up or supervise the set-up of lecture demonstrations.
- Maintain clean, organized stockroom and teaching lab spaces within the Chemistry Department.
- Manage maintenance of general instrumentation in the teaching labs, and keep accessible, organized records of this maintenance.
- Assist faculty with maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Be present in the department during scheduled lab hours.
- Keep up-to-date with best practices in chemical stockroom management, which may include membership in professional stockroom manager organizations (NAOSMM, National Association of Scientific Materials Managers), attendance at professional meetings, and reading current literature.
- Actively participate in enhancing the quality of the Chemistry department stockroom, including participation in problem-solving, active organization of materials, and a constant push toward better management and use of resources.
- Positively and actively contribute to the College's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Minimum B.A. or B.S. in Chemistry required.
- Several years of previous academic or industrial laboratory experience is desired.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of standard analytical chemical laboratory procedures and documentation.
- The ability to maintain clear, accurate and accessible records, especially a laboratory notebook.
- The ability to synthesize information from multiple sources and develop an organized work plan.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, especially with respect to the use of Excel spreadsheets.
- Strong knowledge of standard chemical waste handling and safety labeling, and the ability to work closely with the college's Chemical Hygiene Officer (CHO) to implement these practices.
- Proactive, independent stewardship of Chemistry department resources.
Application review will begin on June 11 and will continue until the position is filled.
August 1, 2021
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=78