Assistant Director for Planning
Student Affairs at Virginia Tech strives for excellence in all ways as it seeks to create transformative learning environments for students and advance the Aspirations for Student Learning. The Assistant Director for Planning will assist with the financial and physical planning of all new and major renovations to the Residential and Dining Services facilities including the development and management of associated financial planning for their entire portfolio. As part of this role, the individual will assist with oversight of the planning, design and construction of capital projects to ensure they achieve our aspired student outcomes and are delivered efficiently and under budget.
This position will report to the Director for Finance and Planning on day-to-day assignments. The position will perform a wide variety of duties to assist the Planning and Operations Department to successfully manage our portfolio of facilities and facility improvement projects with strong fiscal stewardship. Specific duties also include assisting in the:
1) Act as a liaison with Physical Plant Facilities and Student Affairs coordinating activities related buildings and grounds, utilities, parking services, office of university planning, capital construction and renovation, etc.
2) Capital planning for the Director of Finance and Planning, including conception through completion ensuring our program needs are incorporated within the established budget and schedule.
3) Management of all renovation and new construction project budgets
4) Assist with the financial planning and tracking of renovation, maintenance, new construction and other project budgets, and operational budgets in Planning and Operations.
5) Develop monthly reports that effectively communicate current residential and dining departmental budget realities, the status of capital and non-capital projects, and future financial plans.
6) Work closely with multiple department and unit leaders to influence a culture of financial planning and stewardship.
7) Prepare and analyze appropriate Microstrategy and Banner financial reports related to the Residential and Dining programs.
8) Review and approve HokieMart purchase requests related to the Residential and Dining programs
The ideal candidate will be student-centered, of uncompromising integrity, internally motivated, and possess the skills to work both independently and with a team. The individual should have comprehensive capabilities that includes experience with planning, design and construction of higher education facilities, financial management, and utilizing technology. An orientation toward detail, action, solutions, and quality is essential.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Building Construction, Business or related field, OR a combination of relevant training and/or experience.
• Working knowledge of site/building design and construction processes including LEED requirements.
• Experience with project management software
• Ability to interpret design and construction documents
• Ability to read/interpret construction schedules and have knowledge of building codes and construction means and methods.
• Experience managing design and construction budgets
• Experience with accounting and budget management
• Attention to detail and quality driven.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
• Strong customer service and communication skills.
• Registered/Licensed Architect or Engineer in Virginia (as defined by the Code of Virginia), Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, Design-Build Professional, LEED Accredited Professional or other related certifications
• Design/Build, Design/Bid/Build, and Construction Manager-at-Risk construction experience.
• Design and Construction experience in a higher education setting.
• Experience working with the Bureau of Capital Outlay Management, a university building official, or similar office.
• Demonstrated strengths in budget and financial processes in public the university setting,
• Strong time management and organizational skills, and ability to work independently with little supervision, prioritize work, and perform multiple functions simultaneously.
About Student Affairs:
Student Affairs’ Aspirations for Student Learning serve as a framework for our roles as educators as we work alongside students to encapsulate their learning into a strengths-based discovery of their talent so they may: commit to unwavering curiosity ; pursue self-understanding and integrity ; practice civility ; prepare for a life of courageous leadership ; and ultimately , embrace Ut Prosim as a way of life . We operationalize these aspirations through ExperienceVT whereby we work alongside undergraduate, graduate and professional students to create a customized plan for their experience designed to accomplish their individual goals. We measure our success by the success of our students. To that end, we will do whatever it takes to support the individual well-being and success of every student at Virginia Tech
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jonathon Poff at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: May 27, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Architecture Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg