Laboratory Animal Veterinarian
The University of Maryland School of Medicine is seeking a Clinical Veterinarian to direct the Education and Training Services in our Program in Comparative Medicine and Veterinary Resources. The incumbent will establish and direct Education and Training Services, and direct training of veterinary staff and of research investigators. As a laboratory animal veterinarian, the incumbent will be responsible for performing animal clinical care and research in a laboratory setting with a variety of species.
Work is performed in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act’s Animal Welfare Regulations, Public Health Service’s Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) guidelines.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
- Establish and manage a training program for staff and investigators. The Training Program director will develop and implement competency and proficiency standards for Veterinary Resources and research personnel and perform hands-on training for various experimental procedures for the research community.
- Establish and manage a clinical, husbandry and research staff training program for humane handling and health care guidance of research animals. as required.
- Provide and direct veterinary care for animals housed on our campus and its affiliates.
- Participate in on-call duties with other clinical veterinarians.
- Compose and review standard operating procedures related to clinical, husbandry and facility needs.
- Perform surgical and anesthesia support for investigators, and provide guidance in anesthesia, analgesics and surgical procedures selections to facilitate protocol development.
- Assist investigators with animal protocol submissions, and animal model selection, assuring regulatory compliance in all areas, managing veterinary technical services for investigators.
- Provide support for activities of the IACUC, including protocol review, program review and facility inspections. May serve on the IACUC as voting member or alternate member.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, guidelines and standards that relate to animal care and use.
- Make recommendations and assist in establishing and enhancing veterinary and animal care standards.
- Education Required: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris (VMD).
- Experience Required: Five years of relevant experience in laboratory animal medicine and in managing training programs.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration: USDA Accreditation preferred. Licensure in the State of Maryland (may be obtained after hire).
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu .
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu . Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.