Salary: $85,000 to $95,000, DOE
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
The College is looking for exceptional colleagues. We seek candidates with: (1) a focus on student success in a learner-centered environment; (2) a commitment to leading the operations of the Business Office to ensure the furtherance of the College mission; and (3) a willingness to work with internal and stakeholders in a way that demonstrates the College values.
MVCC is seeking to fill a full-time Controller in our Business Office . The Controller is responsible for providing emotionally-intelligent, inclusive, strengths-based leadership to inspire and support staff while overseeing the management of the College’s fiscal affairs, which include general accounting, Bursar operations, student receivables and management of student financial aid funds, budget preparation and control, grants management, investments, and all aspects of internal and external audits and compliance. The Controller is responsible to train, direct and guide assigned personnel in achievement of these objectives.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Develops, evaluates, recommends and implements policies and procedures to establish and maintain internal financial control over assets;
- Serves as a highly collaborative and fully engaged team member of the Administrative Services leadership team.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills across the College. Must possess a strong commitment to excellence in service, effective communication and confidentiality.
- Provides inclusive strengths-based leadership and supervision for all Business Office functions including: Bursar’s Office, payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchasing, restricted funds, and project accounting, banking and budgeting to collaboratively serve the rest of the institution through consistent, emotionally-intelligent practice and engagement;
- Responsible for financial reporting of the College, including preparation of annual financial statements for independent auditors, annual budget and financial reports to SUNY and state Controller’s Office, monthly reports to the College Board of Trustees, and other external or internal reports needed in support of operational decisions;
- Develops, recommends and implements as approved, operational and long-range plans for provision and improvement of services including budget projections, target dates and evaluation systems consistent with College short and long-range objectives;
- Ensures all accounting and reporting is conducted in compliance with FASB, GASB, SUNY, New York State, and other applicable grant awards, laws and regulations;
- Ensures accurate and timely general accounting of financial activity, establish and maintain procedures for accurate and timely receipt and disbursement of funds;
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of cash management and filing of reports;
- Provides budget and financial reports and assists in the analysis, interpretation, and utilization of this information, including support for the development of annual and multi-year budgets;
- Recommends selection and other personnel decisions, and trains, directs and evaluates assigned personnel for the delivery of outstanding service in all functions;
- Complies with College policies and procedures while assisting colleagues to determine the most workable solution to meet the College’s needs;
- Involves each employee within area of supervision in development of an operational plan that measurably supports the College’s strategic plan;
- Ensures cross training of staff and recommends changes in department structure to ensure compliance with local, state and federal requirements;
- Participates actively in college committees, activities, and events. Serves as liaison for external stakeholders as appropriate relative to Business Office and other College matters;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Administrative Services.
Mohawk Valley Community College is committed to transforming lives through learning, and as you help students secure the financial resources to pursue their dreams, you will be critical to the College mission and the student experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- Ten (10) years of demonstrated progressively responsible experience in a complex automated accounting environment
- Spreadsheet proficiency
- Experience in the field of municipal and/or fund accounting
- Experience with SCT Banner for financial management in accounting and accounting in higher education, ideally in a community college
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Special Instructions to Applicants: Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 6/18/2021
Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and global worldview. We value the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, different abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.