Success Coach, MassBay Success Program (Part-time)
Success Coach, MassBay Success Program (Part-time)
Location: Wellesley Hills/Framingham
MassBay fosters educational excellence and academic success to prepare students for local and global citizenship, to meet critical workforce demands of communities, and to contribute to the region’s economic development.
Massachusetts Bay Community College values diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply to join our community.
Located in Greater Boston, MassBay is a comprehensive, open-access community college offering associate degrees and certificate programs on three campuses in Wellesley Hills, Framingham, and Ashland, Massachusetts.
Part-Time, 12-month Position
Reports to: Assistant Director of Academic & Transfer Advising, Director of Academic & Transfer Advising, or designee
Location: Wellesley and Framingham Campus, & Remote
The ideal candidate will join a vibrant and inclusive educational community, and have the desire and ability to work with a diverse population. The Success Coach will engage with students to learn what inspired them to attend college, and help identify what will motivate them to complete their degree/certificate. Students will rely on coaches for support, guidance, and encouragement. This position offers the opportunity to make life-changing differences for students through comprehensive personal, academic, career, and transfer coaching and support to a caseload of students in the MassBay Success Program. In alignment with the College’s goals to increase the success and retention of all students, coaches will identify student needs/goals, assist students in academic planning, address student challenges, and provide referrals to our network of student support resources.
- Connect students with community and college resources based on need;
- Engage regularly with student caseload to build rapport and trust between Coach and student. Prioritize connection and relationships to support students in their social/emotional well-being;
- Provide students with the foundation to become increasingly capable of making informed personal, academic, transfer, and career decisions;
- Discuss and help to clarify educational and career goals with each student; establish plans, reinforce milestones, and monitor progress;
- Set expectations with students, including meeting with tutors, class attendance, and consistent check-ins with Success Coach;
- Provide support, guidance, and assistance in building skills related to time management, college readiness, academic planning, self-advocacy, and goal setting;
- Provide academic success and career-related workshops that focus on skills such as (but not limited to) time management, college readiness, academic planning, self-advocacy, goal setting, and professionalism.
- Serve as the academic advisor to a caseload of students in the MassBay Success Program; complete COMPASS (Comprehensive Advising for Student Success) meetings with first-year students;
- Maintain knowledge of the curricula for MassBay degrees, certificates, and courses;
- Maintain knowledge and currency with MassBay policies and procedures for admissions, enrollment, and completion of a program of study;
- Review placement test scores, credit for prior learning, and transfer credit;
- Assist students in planning appropriate courses for the student’s academic program;
- Assist students with adding and / or withdrawing from courses;
- Utilize MyMAP (degree audit system) to ensure students are on track in their academic program of study; train students to use MyMAP;
- Assess skills, interests, and aptitude; identify realistic career goals and identify appropriate major of study;
- Perform degree audits, course substitutions, and waivers;
- Participate in new student orientation (SOAR) activities and provide comprehensive advising to first-year students.
Commitment to Equity:
- Support MassBay’s commitment to the Equity Agenda; collaborating with faculty, staff, and students on the College’s strategic initiatives dedicated to closing the equity gap related to student outcomes;
- Support MassBay’s commitment to being anti-racist; embracing a community free of bias and inequality;
- Engage in departmental systems and policy review with a critical lens toward equity, accessibility, inclusion, and universal design;
- Refine and deliver an advising and coaching practice that is culturally responsive and reflective of inclusive perspectives;Engage in conversations with colleagues and students and offer best practices within the Academic Advising and Coaching profession as it relates to equity and inclusion.
- Work closely with staff from the Academic Achievement Center, IT, Financial Aid, Enrollment Center, Admissions, Student Engagement, and Student Development, as well as faculty and Academic Deans, and assist students in navigating and utilizing appropriate resources at the college;
- Represent the department or the division for campus, college and community activities.
- Assist in reviewing and developing College and departmental policy and effects on student success;
- Utilize PeopleSoft programs to review student records;
- Utilize StudentTrac database by recording accurate notes and documents to student files;
- Participate in staff meetings;
- Advise the Assistant Director & Director regarding student / program issues;
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned, ie, front desk coverage, answering phones, and scheduling appointments;
- Other duties as assigned.
This list is not to be considered all-inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties as required to meet the needs and foster the mission of the College.
All employees of MassBay are expected to work collegially and collaboratively within a community that values and celebrates diversity.
- Master’s degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or closely related field; with three (3) years’ experience and/or training involving college admissions, academic advisement, career development, or program/project management; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Sensitivity and commitment to the goals of Affirmative Action and workforce diversity;
- Experience working in a diverse environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work with underserved students;
- Retain a high energy level, and exercise strong time management and interpersonal skills
Salary: $35.00 per hour
Classification Type: Temporary Employee
Application Deadline: June 9, 2021, or thereafter until filled.
This is a grant funded position, and position is contingent on funding.
Final candidates are required to provide sealed transcripts and/or certifications.
Hiring is contingent upon a successful CORI clearance.
Massachusetts Bay Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s for Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, Lisa MacDonald, Director of Equity Compliance, email@example.com, (781) 239-3147, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Wellesley
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Wellesley
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Wellesley
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Part Time jobs in Wellesley
- Counseling Not specified Part Time jobs in Wellesley