Assistant Director Financial Aid (11288)
This is a key position in the overall management of American University’s financial aid programs. The incumbent’s primary responsibility is the evaluation, awarding and reconciliation of financial aid programs for the AU’s online programs for one or more of the major financial assistance programs (Federal Stafford Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Perkins loan, Federal Work-Study program, Federal PELL Grant program, Federal SEOG etc.). The incumbent is responsible for determining the financial aid eligibility of prospective and current students and assuring compliance with federal and institutional guidelines. Advises and counsels students, prospective students, parents, and colleagues regarding federal, state and institutional financial assistance programs.
- Responsible for managing and administering all aspects of AU’s online programs. This includes overseeing the program’s budgets. The incumbent conducts reconciliation of awards, certification of expenditures and ensures university compliance with federal, state and institutional guidelines.
- Determine extent, type and amount of eligibility for various types of financial aid, based upon general guidelines provided by federal government regulations and the institution. Utilizes professional judgment to evaluate federal tax forms, calculate assets and conduct need analysis to strategically award students consistent with university objectives. Using statically sampling conducts detailed verification of all information submitted. This process guarantees the integrity of financial aid packages for both prospective and enrolled students.
- Provide financial advice and counseling to both prospective and enrolled students, parents and AU Administrators regarding the application process, bill payment, budgeting and financial planning each semester. Explain federal/institutional regulations, methods of compliance and procedures and policies. Understand and inform students of all principles underlying the system of needs analysis, methods of information collection and verification. The duties are handled in order to facilitate the financial aid process.
- Evaluates appeals for amounts and types of financial aid awards. Utilizing professional judgment determines and makes adjustments, if warranted, based upon individual family circumstances incorporating existing federal and institutional guidelines.
- Work with other University departments such as Student Accounts, Student Loan Office, Payroll, and the Registrar on behalf of students.
- This position reports directly to an Associate Director Financial Aid.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Sr Coordinator/Sr Analyst B
Required Education and Experience
- BA/BS required (Associate Degree and 5 years related working experience can be substituted in lieu of).
- Three years experience working in a heavy volume financial aid office, with progressive experience.
- Working knowledge of automated financial aid systems and software applications. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- This position represents the University to the public and outside agencies on a regular basis.
- Must have knowledge of the many federal and university regulations governing financial aid.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- This position represents the University to the public and outside agencies on a regular basis
- Must have knowledge of the many federal and university regulations governing financial aid
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.