Executive Director of Enrollment Management
The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (IMSA) is seeking applicants for the position of Executive Director of Enrollment Management as the leader of the Enrollment Management Office. The primary function of the Executive Director of Enrollment Management is to provide overall leadership for student recruitment and selection with responsibility for Academy-wide strategic direction of class composition and Admissions policy. This position is also responsible for Enrollment Management programmatic and budgetary direction. The Executive Director of Enrollment Management reports to and is evaluated by the Chief Strategy Officer.
The internationally recognized Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (IMSA) develops creative, ethical leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. As a teaching and learning laboratory created by the State of Illinois, IMSA enrolls academically talented Illinois students (grades 10–12) in its advanced, residential college preparatory program. It also serves thousands of educators and students in Illinois and beyond through innovative instructional programs that foster imagination and inquiry.
IMSA is committed to an equitable, diverse and inclusive teaching and learning environment. Through a model of Equity and Excellence, IMSA has committed to advancing equity in STEM education and representation and creating a diverse, inclusive community of global citizens who can realize their full potential, and execute our mission to advance the human condition.
This Equity and Excellence Model is the intentional integration of Cultural Competence, Diversity, Equity, Equity-Minded Frame, Excellence and Inclusion into every facet of the Academy, with the understanding that it is an active and ongoing process involving structures, processes and people and not an isolated initiative.
This position supports Equity and Excellence by ensuring that all pre-enrollment and enrollment policies, practices, strategies and programs are envisioned, managed and delivered through an equity lens.Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This individual will be responsible for:
- Responsible for strategic vision, long-range planning, resource management, and the implementation of enrollment management strategies, policies, procedures and evaluations.
- Analyze current and historical enrollment results and trends within the State and with competitors to develop and implement strategies to realize enrollment goals.
- Establish measurable goals and objectives for all areas of responsibility and ensure that those goals are achieved.
- Make high-quality, data-driven, evidence-based, and equity driven decisions that are inclusive and reflective of the State of Illinois.
- Be innovative and proactive in identifying new recruitment ideas, marketing strategies, pre-enrollment strategies, an equity centered approaches, and other institutional moves that will drive the achievement of enrollment goals.
- Provide oversight and direction for the department’s annual recruitment plan and annual outreach plan including, but not limited to: visit opportunities, external events and family engagement strategies.
- Develop and provide direct oversight of budget.
- Represent the Academy to prospective students and the general public with the highest degree of professionalism.
- Engage strategic partners in the referral of top STEM students in the State.
- Lead the Review Committee, Counselor evaluation of applications, and the Selection Committee. Continually assess and refine these processes to ensure the use and application of an equity lens, while remaining relevant to the Academy and State of Illinois.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, supervision, management, and accountability for all employees in the enrollment division including: Director of Pre-Enrollment Programs, Admissions Counselors, and Administrative Assistant.
- Actively coach the team in working to reach their individual and team goals, an equity centered focus and implementation, and continually assess individual and collective development.
- Engage in continuous professional development and provide opportunities for the Enrollment Management team to stay abreast of college and high school admissions trends, equity knowledge, and develop leadership skills.Work directly with the Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to align, realign, and ensure the Enrollment Management Services Department’s processes, policies, and practices are consistent with the Academy’s Equity and Excellence Plan.
- Collaborate with the Office of Public Affairs to provide vision and strategy for messaging and marketing initiatives.
- Work closely with Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the Center for Teaching and Learning, and the Director of Pre-Enrollment Programs to develop and implement pipeline strategies for STEM students and underrepresented populations.
- Collaborate with the Office of Student Affairs and the Principal’s Office on recruitment strategies, retention efforts, and placement testing.
- Serves as member of the Senior Leadership Team, and as a liaison to internal and external constituencies as appropriate, including the Board of Trustees, prospective students and parents, alumni, etc.
- Presents at Board of Trustee meetings in the absence of Chief Strategy Officer.
- Collaborates closely with Cabinet members, other senior leaders and staff to strengthen the impact of the Enrollment Management Services department
- Other duties as assigned.
The required skills and experience for this position include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Master’s degree required; Education, Counseling, Business Management or Marketing/Communications preferred.
- Five to seven years of progressive and successful admissions/enrollment management experience.
- Experience in college/high school admissions required.
- Experience working with students/families from historically underrepresented communities.
- Three years supervisory and budgetary experience.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), critical thinking, and diversity/equity/inclusion experience.
- Exceptional organizational, project management, program management, innovative capabilities, and leadership development experience.
- Experience in strategic enrollment planning and evaluating recruitment efforts; ability to use data and information effectively in planning and decision-making.
- Strong skills in setting vision, detail oriented, critical thinking
- Ability to travel (valid driver’s license is required) and work evenings and weekends.
- Bi-lingual, Spanish
- Experience working with a state institution
- National recruitment
- Salesforce certified
- Experience working in a cross functional capacity
- Knowledge of and experience with current and innovative technology used in recruitment and application processing.
- Strong skills in the use of technology-based information systems using tools such as Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, Salesforce, and various web, email and social media platforms.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is performed in an office setting with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards. Substantial time is spent working on a computer. While this is generally sedentary work which requires the following physical activities: sitting, finger dexterity, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity.
To continue moving diversity, equity and inclusion forward, IMSA seeks to recruit, support, and retain diverse, talented individuals who are culturally competent, equity- minded, and constituent–centered. IMSA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, marital status, political affiliation, amnesty, arrest record, military status, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.