Senior Associate Athletics Director for Compliance
You will work within the Intercollegiate Athletics Division and report to the Deputy Director of Internal Operations/SWA. As the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Compliance you will ensure the Athletics Department staff, coaches, student-athletes and supporters are aware of and abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the University, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and other associated Conferences. You will directly oversee the Compliance Staff Office and selected head coaches. You will also certify over 500 student-athletes for practice and competition as directed by the NCAA and Conference Offices.
- Provide vision and leadership in the development and administration of an effective program to ensure institutional control.
- Oversee, tracking and distribution of initial and continuing athletic and academic eligibility status of all student-athletes.
- Determine the responsibilities to be performed and delegate work responsibilities to the appropriate staff.
- Lead and mentor selected head coaches, and their staff members, in the management of their programs (including fiscal, competitive, and development opportunities).
- Implement and oversee all compliance policy and monitoring efforts including amateurism, personnel, recruiting, eligibility, financial aid, and playing and practice seasons.
- Lead investigation of known and alleged rule violations.
- Provide written correspondence with the NCAA and affiliated conferences regarding rules violations and follow-up responses.
- Develop and administer a comprehensive rules education program for staff, coaches, student-athletes and boosters.
- Ensure appropriate NCAA and associate Conference Reports are completed and submitted.
- Oversee individuals responsible for the Admissions and Financial Aid processes.
- Direct appropriate staff to oversee terms and conditions regarding housing in relation to financial awards.
- Oversee management of staff that reports athletically related aid, and income from additional sources of countable aid, work study, jobs, grants and loans.
- Contribute to the success of the athletics program by performing all other responsibilities as assigned by the Deputy Director of Athletics and the Athletics Director.
- Assist the Senior Associate Director of Athletics/Senior Woman Administrator in requests regarding Title IX Compliance, Student-Athlete Handbook and other reporting requests.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and NCAA Clearing House policies and processes. Specific knowledge to ensure incoming student-athletes, transfer student-athletes and auxiliary rosters are eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics by meeting NCAA and Conference eligibility requirements.
- Effective management skills required to supervise selected men’s and women’s sport coaches and their respective coaching staffs.
- Ability to work effectively with donors and Booster Clubs to educate and direct involvement in fundraising activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of student development theories relevant to a metropolitan university and demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of the needs of SJSU’s diverse student body.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations as well as CSU and university policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively NCAA rules and regulations governing recruiting, amateurism, awards and benefits, playing and practice seasons, and sports camps and clinics.
- Master’s in Legal Studies/Law related field
- Five years of progressive experience in the oversight of NCAA athletic compliance and management within college athletics
- Juris Doctor
- 5 or more years of progressive experience in the oversight of NCAA athletic Compliance
- Management experience within college athletics
- Collegiate student services background and in-depth knowledge
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Determined by experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 26, 2021 through June 9, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 26, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose