The Department Coordinator in the Biological Sciences department provides moderate to complex administrative and clerical support to the chair, faculty, staff, and students while observing confidentiality of all information/events pertaining to faculty, staff, and students.
Working independently, under general supervision, the Department Coordinator oversees the daily operations of the department office and provides the full range of activities and accountability including temp faculty hire responsibilities, supervising and assigning work to student assistant, front desk support attending to students and faculty, oversee and responsible for the department’s main office line and email account. The incumbent is expected to offer support to various chair, office, and faculty projects as assigned.
- Provide clerical support for faculty and staff such as, but not limited to, exams, handouts, and the semester calendars
- Prepare and draft memos and correspondence; open, sort, and prioritize the Chair's mail and manage the department's email
- Maintain faculty personnel files, historical files, and curriculum files
- Advise the Chair of the department curriculum committee of deadlines and process curriculum changes
- Advise staff, faculty, and the public on department and University policies and procedures
- Assist the department scheduler and the Department Chair in managing department space utilization, related room use changes, furniture moves, and scheduled interruptions due to water-steam/power shutdowns or service failures
- Prepare eligibility lists and ballots for the election of faculty personnel committees. Maintain a master calendar of routine and critical events
- Maintain contact with the help desk in assisting faculty with PeopleSoft related issues
- Work closely with the Web Services department on the Biological Sciences website needs, update pages as needed
- Process faculty appointment and reappointment papers for the department in coordination with the Department Chair and AA/S using the current system offered by University Personnel. Currently using OnBase.
- Perform timekeeping duties and all payroll-related activities for faculty
- Train and supervise the student assistant(s) in basic office needs, such as updating bulletin boards, responding to emails, answering calls, etc.
- Provide direct backup support by answering the telephone and assisting the public if the student assistant is not covering the front desk
- Scheduling and tracking student assistant work hours and approving time in PS-Absence Management
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Thorough knowledge of methods, procedures and practices; English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Working knowledge of software applications; word processing, spreadsheet, database management
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to handle multiple Work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Strong oral communication skills
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined
- Three years of related office work experience
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service
- Minimum of two years demonstrated experience handling multiple work priorities
- Experience with DocuSign, Word and Excel Experience with student appointments
- Experience with SJSU systems PeopleSoft, CSUBuy and CHRS
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $4,200/month
Salary Range: $3,064/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 26, 2021 through June 16, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 26, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose