Program Director, STEM & Undergraduate Education
Job Posting Template The Program Director of STEM and Undergraduate Education (PD) is broadly responsible for research education programs for high school and college/university level students. A key responsibility includes management of the JAX Summer Student Program which has trained generations of biomedical research scientists and clinicians, including three Nobel laureates. The PD will manage relationships with research faculty mentors, recruit, place and advise participants, as well as nurture and promote essential diversity and inclusion programs for participants and mentors. Individuals will use grant writing and management skills and have the opportunity to be a principal investigator on STEM education grant programs and will design and execute new strategic STEM education initiatives. Individuals with instructional and/or evaluation skills in addition to program administration experience are encouraged to apply. JAX and our education efforts are focused on mammalian genetics and genomics; training in a biological field is pertinent and valuable. Key Responsibilities: Program Administration - Oversees the day-to-day operations of STEM programs including, but not limited to:
- Recruitment of faculty mentors and scientific sponsors.
- Strategic marketing, recruitment and application review of student participants.
- Hiring and supervision of instructional and residential staff.
- Participant data set oversight, including of tracking participant demographics and outcomes.
- Maintenance and nurturing of essential diversity and inclusion programs for student and teacher participants.
- Programmatic, staff, student, and faculty assessment.
- STEM budget administration and management; endowed funds management and coordination of advancement campaigns for STEM and student programs.
- Student mentoring and counseling, including problem solving, conflict resolution, and identification and implementation of disciplinary actions.
- Communications and annual reporting on JAX STEM programs, participants, and successes to internal and external audiences, including federal agencies.
- In coordination with JAX-wide resources, oversight of program regulatory compliance, health and safety, and risk management.
- Oversight of JAX programmatic obligations to multi-institute STEM and undergraduate partnerships (e.g. Maine INBRE, Coordination).
- Oversees a portfolio of education programs within JAX Genomic Education (JAX GE), aligning programs with institutional, state, and national STEM needs and priorities.
- Develops and implements STEM education programs that are responsive to strategic plans.
- Serves as Principal Investigator on education-focused grants (e.g. NSF REU, NIH R25s).
- Will build and maintain a diverse but balanced portfolio of STEM activities that address the unique needs of K-16 students.
- Principal Investigator duties of federal education grants as well as evaluation of new grant funding opportunities and extensive grant writing in support of STEM and UG programs; assesses opportunities for moving curricular content to online environments; expands implementation of online education to targeted audiences.
- Recruitment and management of external educators for curriculum and content development, online web-based designers, and pedagogical specialists.
- PhD with 4 years of management or supervision of educational program strongly preferred. Master’s degree and at least 4 years of specific education experience as well as relevant STEM/9-16 education experience may be considered.
- Experience working in an administrative capacity at a college, university, medical school or research institution setting, preferably as a contributor to educational program administration and/or curriculum development and delivery.
- Experience in student life programming or college admissions preferred.
- Strong leadership skills combined with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other members of the Genomic Education Team, on both research campuses, and faculty across the Laboratory.
- Ability to travel to our Farmington, CT campus
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor
- Academic Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor
- Jobs Outside Academe Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor
- Non-profit & Government Organizations Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor