Professional Writing Tutor
Posting Number AS191P Position Title Professional Writing Tutor Contract Length 10.5 months Class Summary
Professional Writing Tutors assist and coach College of the Mainland students and community members in becoming more successful and independent writers. Professional Writing Tutors help integrate effective learning and study strategies for students, while at the same time helping clarify and reinforce course content, assignments and material.
Candidates Eligible to Apply Internal/External Position Type Exempt Staff Employment Status Full Time Position Funding Type Regular
Bachelors in English Literature or Composition required. Will consider applicants with a Bachelors in Speech or Communication if they possess tutoring experience at the collegiate level. Some tutoring or teaching experience required.
Masters in English Literature or Composition. Tutoring or teaching experience at a Community College.
Minimum Knowledge & Skills
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to tutor students in a variety of courses that require writing.
• Proficient in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Teams, Sharepoint and educational Learning Management Systems.
• Ability to tutor students online using asynchronous and synchronous techniques.
• Ability to help students with speeches, resumes, cover letters, and mock interviews.
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
• Records maintenance skills.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
• Experience working with online tutoring platforms.
• Fluency with Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel; ability to learn additional software as needed.
• Experience with Blackboard or other educational Learning Management Systems.
• Experience with Safe Assign or other plagiarism platforms.
• Competency of the Spanish language.
• Provide content and skill-development tutoring to students individually or in small groups both online and face-to-face.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of tutoring sessions.
• Maintain a tutoring schedule as needed.
• As an embedded tutor, applicant will attend all classes as requested by the assigned instructor, complete assignments and assist the instructor as needed.
• Attend and complete required tutor trainings, department meetings and professional development sessions.
• Develop a good understanding and knowledge of college services, supports, and resources.
• Make appropriate student referrals to college offices, departments or professionals, when necessary.
• Work with instructors as needed to receive information on course topics.
• Maintain strict confidentiality of all student information, material, and discussions shared in tutoring sessions.
• Participate in assigned committees and task forces as assigned.
• Assist with creating a tutoring schedule.
• Assist with creating professional development and training opportunities for part-time tutors.
• Help lead weekly writing tutor meetings.
• Perform additional related job duties as required.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• Work requires stooping, crouching, talking, seeing, hearing, repetitive motions.
• Work requires sedentary work/sitting greater than 50% of the time.
Minimum Salary Range $40,590.38 (10.5 mo.) Mid Point Salary Range . Maximum Salary Range $50,738.63 (10.5 mo.) Posting Open Date 05/24/2021 Posting Close Date Posting Will Be Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Applicants must be willing to work evenings and weekends. This position requires rotating weekends, evenings and summer shifts. Applicants must be able to work as an embedded tutor in co-requisite and credit English courses.
Please NOTE : All applications must contain complete job histories, which include job title, dates of employment (month/year), name of employer, supervisors name and phone numbers and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be considered incomplete. Applications with “See attached” or “See resume” will not be accepted in lieu of a complete application. Omission of data can be the basis for disqualification; you may state “unknown” for any incomplete fields. A scanned copy of unofficial transcript(s) must be attached to the online application.
College of the Mainland is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability or veteran status.
College of the Mainland does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of its programs and activities, as specified by federal laws and regulations within Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and 1992.
Quick Link to Share for Direct Access to Posting https://jobs.com.edu/postings/2460 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Are you able to work evenings?
- * Are you able to work weekends?
- * Are you willing to be an embedded tutor?
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (1 of 3)
- Letter of Recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Additional Transcripts (2 of 3)
- Additional Transcripts (3 of 3)