Lecturer - General Chemistry
Lecturer – General Chemistry AY Job #16781
Arizona State University
School of Molecular Sciences
The School of Molecular Sciences (SMS) at Arizona State University (ASU) invites applications for two Lecturer positions with an anticipated start date of August 2022. This is a full-time, nine-month, benefits-eligible, non-tenure eligible position, renewable on an academic year basis (Aug 16 – May 15), contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, and the needs of the university. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for teaching at the undergraduate level in general chemistry, but may also be asked to contribute to teaching in the organic chemistry or biochemistry programs, depending upon prior experience. Courses may include those in both in-person and online format. In addition to teaching, responsibilities will include supervising teaching assistants and junior faculty, undertaking unit, college, and university-level service, and developing course materials and future program plans in conjunction with other faculty and staff.
The School of Molecular Sciences at Arizona State University is an organization of more than 55 faculty members, 100 staff, and 1900 graduate and undergraduate students who work at the forefront of science and technology innovation and education. It influences and impacts broad university-wide initiatives in fundamental science, health, sustainability, energy, food-water-climate, security, materials, manufacturing, space exploration and other endeavors of advanced technology.
The School of Molecular Sciences has a strong relationship with the School of Earth and Space Exploration. For more information about SESE, please visit https://sese.asu.edu/. For more information on The Center for Materials of the Universe, please visit https://materials.asu.edu/materials-universe.
ASU is located on four campuses and two research parks within the Phoenix metropolitan area and is one of the largest universities in the U.S. The School is located on the Tempe campus. ASU is ranked within the top 100 research universities in the world, consistently being recognized as the most innovative university in the country. It is home to the Biodesign Institute (https://biodesign.asu.edu/ ) and the Global Institute of Sustainability (https://sustainability.asu.edu/ ), both of which have strong representation from SMS faculty. Diversity is a key component of excellence at ASU, and the School of Molecular Sciences supports the value of diversity among faculty, staff, and students.
Arizona State University is a research-intensive university with outstanding research facilities and infrastructure support. Recently ranked #1 as the nation’s most innovative school, the university’s location within the large and fast-growing Phoenix region provides a rich context for applied research and community engagement around issues of molecular sciences. We invite you to learn more about the School of Molecular Sciences and Arizona State University by visiting https://sms.asu.edu and https://newamericanuniversity.asu.edu/. Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by viewing https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty.
- Master’s degree in Chemistry, or a closely related field by time of appointment
- Two years of post-secondary teaching experience
- Lecturing experience at the college level in an general chemistry or other chemistry or biochemistry courses
- Familiarity with laboratory safety policies
- Organizational and communication skills (as evidenced by the completed application materials)
- Effective teaching ability (as evidenced by included peer and/or student reviews)
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, or a closely related field by time of appointment
- Experience in creating curriculum and teaching general chemistry online
- Record of using active learning and non-traditional models of instruction
- Demonstrated commitment to serving and understanding the particular needs of online students
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of underrepresented student populations and/or reaching out to diverse communities
- Experience supervising and mentoring teaching assistants
- Evidence of collaborative activities with other faculty and staff
- Participation in the higher education community and professional development activities (for example, authoring educational and scientific publications, presenting at conferences, attending workshops, etc.)
To apply, visit: http://apply.interfolio.com/88387
Materials that you will be required to submit are:
- Cover letter describing interest in this position, and applicable qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy and interests (1-2 pages)
- Examples of reviews of teaching in the form of student evaluations and/or evaluations by peers (3
Initial deadline for review of complete applications is July 9 2021. If not filled, applications will continue to be reviewed weekly thereafter until the search is closed.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
A background check is required for employment.
ASU is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Further information on ASU’s policies can be found at https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and its complete non-discrimination statement at https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Asu
- Education Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Asu
- Curriculum & Instruction Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Asu
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Asu
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Non-Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Asu