Visiting Student Success Librarian and Assistant Professor
Position Details: Randolph-Macon College invites applications for a 12-month full-time, one-year (renewable up to three years) Visiting Student Success Librarian and Assistant Professor in the McGraw-Page Library. Projected start date to begin August 2021.
Institution Information: Randolph-Macon College, founded in 1830, is a selective, primarily residential liberal arts college with an enrollment of 1500 students located in the northern suburbs of Richmond, Virginia. It is 90 miles south of Washington, DC and 15 miles north of Richmond. The College seeks employees committed to advancing inclusion and equity and to cultivating a community that welcomes all people, regardless of race, gender, disability, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression. Of special interest are candidates who can further the College’s efforts to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The McGraw-Page Library supports the mission of Randolph-Macon College by providing quality resources and innovative services that foster lifelong learning through exploration, discovery, and creativity. Our vision is to be the intellectual center of Randolph-Macon College where we encourage multi- and inter-disciplinarity through active participation in the academic and creative life of the College. We create vibrant, welcoming physical and virtual environments that support teaching, learning, research, and discovery. We collect, preserve, promote, and facilitate access to the best scholarly and educational resources in a variety of formats, and excel at innovative and responsive services. We educate members of the campus community in the use of academic and technological resources in order to prepare them for a complex information environment. We foster a culture of inclusiveness that reflects and respects the diversities of our community.
Major/Essential Functions: This position will fill a new role at the McGraw-Page Library designed to intentionally and proactively engage with the Randolph-Macon College student body. The successful applicant will work collaboratively with Library colleagues, faculty, students, and campus partners, including the Higgins Academic Center, to actively support student academic success and lifelong learning while supporting the Library’s goals of enhancing diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
- Plan and implement creative and effective outreach and engagement initiatives for R-MC students that promote student success and Library collections and services, and contribute to the campus's intellectual climate. Create, continue and/or improve Library outreach programming. Contribute to the promotion of these initiatives that include both in-person (internal and external) and virtual platforms.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent completed within six months of hire;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching;
- Evidence of a commitment to liberal arts education;
- Experience with outreach and promotion of library services and resources;
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential;
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively to different types of stakeholders with different knowledge backgrounds; and
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a collegial, team-based environment and maintain positive working relationships.
- Experience planning and coordinating events;
- Knowledge of best practices and trends in the profession and in first-year student experience, first-generation student experience, and/or student success;
- Experience as a liaison to academic departments;
- Demonstrated organizational, assessment, project management, and problem solving skills.
To apply, please send the following as a single pdf document to Sabrina Granderson, Administrative Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 30, 2021 with Student Success/Instruction as the subject line.
The documents that must be uploaded include the following:
- Letter of application that addresses the position duties and responsibilities and your qualifications;
- Curriculum vitae;
- A brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy;
- A brief (one page) statement describing past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and
- The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address teaching experience and teaching effectiveness; please indicate the teaching reference in your letter of application). Please do not ask references to submit letters of recommendation; the committee will conduct reference checks by phone.
For full consideration, applications must be received by June 30, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.
Randolph-Macon College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, disability, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.
Apply for Visiting Student Success Librarian and Assistant Professor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly