Director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
Texas Lutheran University seeks a Director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness who will lead and assist the institution in the effective use of data and analysis to transform the lives of students. Texas Lutheran University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution that through a community of faith and learning, empowers a diverse student body through an education centered on the liberal arts and professional programs. In pursuit of a more just world, TLU is committed to academic excellence, servant leadership, and career development. This is a full-time, 12-month exempt administrative position, with an anticipated start date of July 2021.
This role is highly visible and requires strong planning, execution, and collaborative skills as well as demonstrated experience in bringing about institutional change to continue to meet the needs of traditional and non-traditional students in the 21st century. This position will be critical as Texas Lutheran University looks to thoughtfully grow its academic program portfolio along with strengthening its commitment to student success, retention, and engagement, under a renewed commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, utilizing and aligning with the new institutional strategic plan, the action plan for racial justice prepared by the President’s Cabinet, and the strategic plan for diversity, equity, and inclusion prepared by the University’s Diversity Committee. TLU is seeking an individual who has a deep understanding of the multiple constituents of a university and the strength of data-driven decision making as a tool for the institution to meet its many goals.
The Director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness enhances institutional effectiveness by meeting the data and analysis needs of executives, departmental administrators, and faculty. The Director:
- Establishes, administers, and coordinates the University’s institutional research activities, including collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting information to the University for use in data-driven decision making.
- Provides leadership and is responsible for the collection, analysis, reporting, and maintenance of institutional information needed by institutional leadership. Directs and manages the extraction of information from the enterprise-wide relational data base and other sources creating and enforcing data policies for the university. Develops, implements, and administers data collection and use processes to ensure consistency and protection of all data.
- Directs the institutional research and effectiveness functions for the University and collaborates with others to ensure that the institution engages in ongoing, comprehensive, and integrated research-based planning and evaluation processes that (a) focus on institutional quality and effectiveness, (b) academic program planning and review, and (c) incorporate a systematic review of institutional goals and outcomes consistent with its mission including Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and student retention and completion.
- The Director is responsible for facilitating the completion of external data and survey requests and the preparation of specialized reports in compliance with state, federal, or other regulatory agencies such as SACSCOC, NCES/IPEDS, NC-SARA, and others. Works closely with the institutional accreditation liaison to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Provides information, expertise, and support for major institutional initiatives such as the Strategic plan, new reporting mandates, grant work (both data collection and evaluation plans), and Quality Enhancement Plans.
- Maintains a central repository of research data that collects, analyzes, and publishes statistical data and creates and maintains internal and external dashboards for various initiatives.
- Assists in the adoption and implementation of business intelligence software and technologies related to institutional research needs. Helps manage relationship with external partner – managing a robust set of dashboards and data visualizations that monitor key performance indicators and informs stakeholders via creative and informative presentations.
- Develops and maintains Institutional Research and Effectiveness webpage.
- Oversees design, development/acquisition, and implementation of internal and external surveys.
- Develops protocols to manage and prioritize data requests.
- Provide supervision for part-time Data Analyst and Data Analyst Student Workers
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in applied analytics, information management, information sciences, educational research, statistical analysis, social science research, or related field.
- Five years of experience working in institutional research, effectiveness, or a related field.
- Proficient in quantitative and qualitative research design and analysis.
- Strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Exceptional organizational skills, multi-project management, writing and research skills, advanced skills in statistical software (e.g., Excel and SPSS), and a collaborative leadership style.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills with the ability to compile and analyze data and prepare reports in relation to policy questions, research purpose and strategic planning efforts. This includes but is not limited to assessments in areas related to student success, student data analysis (such as enrollment, retention, graduation, and time to degree), and academic data analysis (such as productivity and cost of instruction).
- Demonstrated ability to translate findings into actionable recommendations and to communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively on team-based projects.
- A demonstrated understanding and familiarity of the role and impact of Hispanic-Serving Institutions on student and organizational success.
- Experience with SQL and Jenzabar
- PhD in information management, information sciences, educational research, statistical analysis, social science research, or related field.
Texas Lutheran University
Texas Lutheran University is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. In accordance with its affiliation, TLU, a Hispanic Serving Institution, seeks applicants who are eager to join a culturally diverse community of learning. Our student body, reflective of the diversity of the State of Texas, is over 40% Hispanic, with a strong Black presence as well. The University is located in Seguin, Texas, approximately 35 miles east of San Antonio. TLU has been recognized consistently as a “Great College to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education and has been featured in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Colleges” rankings in various categories. The University is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and also is subject to the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA). TLU is committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion across all levels of the University. Salary is competitive with excellent benefits. For more information, please consult our website at https://www.tlu.edu.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a TLU application available on our website (https://www.tlu.edu/jobs), a cover letter demonstrating appropriate qualifications and experience to fulfill the responsibilities outlined, along with a resume or curriculum vita, and contact information for three professional references (names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers). Materials should be submitted electronically to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, Texas 78155
FAX: (830) 372-6409
The review of applications will begin on June 11 and continue until the position is filled.