Campus Safety Officer. Sergeant - $14-$20 per hour
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Shift Captain in maintaining safety and security throughout the Fisk University campus. He or she will assist in identifying and establishing programs for orienting new employees; assisting in planning the training and development of staff; and ensuring all policies and procedures are up-to-date, well organized and easily accessible to all staff and students. He or she will ensure that detailed records of performance and training status of all employees are maintained. Position requires a minimum of 40 hours worked per week.
- Responsible for accomplishing the mission of the Office of Campus Safety, to provide for both the security and safety of the Fisk community.
- In the absence of the Shift Commander, Provide effective
management and front-line supervision of all Campus Safety officers
and Dispatcher on assigned shift to include the following:
- Supervises all subordinate staff to include contracted staff officers, student employees, further managing contracted staff time and scheduling and evaluating job performance of each.
- Develops and manages staffing schedules and deployment needs of respective shifts and/or events as required.
- Develop and implement field training mechanisms for all staff officers/other that are necessary to provide adequate services. Responds to access/securing requests in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Key and Access Control programs.Completes required paperwork in compliance with the Campus Safety Operations Manual and University Handbook, including but not limited to, field reports, operations notes, incident reports, accident reports, traffic citations, alcohol citations, more.Annually attend in-service training provided by the University and pass with a 80% or better, each testing instrument.
- Provides emergency/crisis/routine response as situations arise, in accordance with University and departmental policy, Federal, State and local laws.
- Monitors all Campus access points, monitoring all campus entry (vehicular and pedestrian) and egress. This to include traffic direction, visitor assistance and entry validation when necessary.
- Conduct both walking and mobile patrols of interior and exterior locations/areas of the campus and remain highly visible.
- Perform all other routine and daily Campus Safety services that are also required of staff.
- Other duties as assigned.SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal, written and other interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team or independently, with minimum supervision.
- Security supervisory experience preferred
- Excellent Computer Skills
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Outlook email system
- Experience working in a university or college setting, preferably, in the area of campus security or Campus Safety, preferred.
- Good problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
Education: High School Diploma, and two years of college experience preferred and/or adequate level of experience in safety or security field.
Experience: Prior military, police or post secondary security venue experience preferred. Minimum of two years experience preferred, with one year at a supervisory level. Two years experience as a University and/or College Campus Safety officer preferred.
Licenses or Certificates: State of Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance Armed licensing and certifications required.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.