Technical Services Librarian
Sweet Briar College, a women’s college increasingly defined by innovation, has launched a bold academic program that integrates the liberal arts with women’s leadership to prepare graduates to address the challenges facing our world. Faculty are committed to cultivating the habits of mind—in problem solving, decision making, and creativity—that are critical for leaders. These values are embedded in the College’s institutional vision and supported by our confidence that academic excellence, small classes, and dedication to empowering young women will position Sweet Briar and its graduates to thrive.
The Mary Helen Cochran Library maintains a broad collection of print and electronic resources to support student and faculty research, teaching, and learning at Sweet Briar College. Built in 1929 from a design by Ralph Adams Cram, the library was renovated in 2014 to include meeting and study spaces to accommodate the physical and technological needs of academic library patrons.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Job Title: Technical Services Librarian
Classification: Full-time, benefits eligible, staff position
Reports To: Director of Library Services
Sweet Briar College invites applications for a Technical Services Librarian. The successful candidate will manage library technical services and electronic resources, and provide support for library systems. The incumbent will help develop the College’s approach to students, faculty, and community member access to electronic resources, help to maintain our library systems, and to support the blend of in-person and online learning that characterizes current, effective higher education.
As part of the library team, the Technical Services Librarian will focus primarily on the maintenance and improvement of electronic resource collections and systems. They will also collaborate with other library staff to provide reference, instruction, and faculty liaison service. We seek a flexible and creative thinker, who is eager to contribute to a reimagining of the library. The ideal candidate will be able to work collaboratively, to develop their own ideas and to grow professionally within this position.
Candidates ready to work with a diverse student body are especially welcome. Sweet Briar prides itself on creating a learning environment that encourages women to fulfill their highest potential. Leadership in all walks of life is fostered by the special connections our faculty make with their students, and Sweet Briar women translate their academic experiences into interesting and important lives.
The responsibilities of this position will ultimately be determined by the successful candidate’s skills and experience, but will include:
- Provide oversight of library technical service functions, including acquisitions, cataloging and serials
- Lead management of electronic resources collection, to include e-resource purchasing, access, maintenance, usage and cost analysis
- Perform occasional copy cataloging, and maintenance of catalog records (Using SirsiDynix Horizon and OCLC WorldShare)
- Maintain and improve the library website, to meet accessibility standards and educational goals (Currently using the LibGuides platform and OCLC WorldShare)
- Manage electronic resource authentication (currently managed through OCLC EZ Proxy)
- Provide assistance and backup support for Horizon integrated library system (ILS)
- Serve as liaison to one of three academic divisions, communicating between subject area faculty and the library, and providing information literacy instruction
- Work collaboratively on collection management, including print and electronic material selection, deselection, collection analysis and planning
- Contribute to team provision of reference services in person, via email, and chat.
- Production of instructional videos and online tutorials, and contribution to the library’s social media outreach
- Participate in library, campus, and regional initiatives
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent degree from a foreign institution by the beginning of appointment;
- 3-4 years of relevant professional experience;
- Demonstrated interest in working across disciplines and engaging in collaboration across and beyond campus;
- Ability and willingness to apply principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion to the design and provision of library services, in support of the Sweet Briar College curriculum and community;
- Strong communication, problem solving, and organizational skills.
3 or more years of library work experience, ideally in an academic library
How to Apply:
To apply, visit the Sweet Briar College Career Center: https://sbc.edu/human-resources/faculty-staff-job-openings/. All applications should include: 1) cover letter; 2) CV; 3) a one-page statement highlighting contributions to or future plans for promoting diversity and inclusion through work in this position; and 4) the names and full contact information for three professional references. Items should be submitted in a single PDF file. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.