The Proposal Coordinator is responsible for the submission of compliant
grant and contract proposals for a designated set of assigned institutional units by providing technical assistance to faculty and staff in all administrative aspects of pre-award functions, including providing guidance on matters that impact award management. The Proposal Coordinator will engage in collaborative relationships with colleagues in support of the SPA mission, and will work closely with investigators, departments, sponsored programs staff, funding agency representatives, and other entities to ensure compliance with funding requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Facilitate and manage administrative aspects of the production and timely transmittal of grant and contract proposals including proposal preparation, institutional approval, and proposal submission for a set of assigned institutional departments; stay current with sponsor and institutional policies and procedures related to proposal preparation and submission.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1.Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, economics or a field related to the position.
2. One year of professional work experience in grants and contracts development, finance, administration, or related activities in a complex business, academic, government, or agency
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
One year of professional work experience in grants and contracts development, finance, administration, or related activities in a complex business, academic, government, or agency
Education and Experience Preferred
Master’s degree and/or research administration experience in a higher education
Familiarity with federal and/or non-profit granting agencies. Possession of a CRA or CPRA .
Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and/or InfoEd Proposal Tracking and Proposal Development modules; experience working in institution-level networking systems.
Working knowledge of the Federal regulations governing sponsored projects. Basic understanding of compliance regulations governing export controls, financial conflict of interest, human and vertebrate animal subjects, and biohazards.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
$3750 per month
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu . Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Grants and Contracts Associate for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Sponsored Programs Administration
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in business administration,
accounting, finance, economics or a field related to the position?
- * What field/major is your Master's degree in?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have professional work experience do you have in
grants and contracts development, finance, administration, or
related activities in a complex business, academic, government, or
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #3 (unofficial with official required at hire)