Hematology/Oncology Medical Director
Job Title Hematology/Oncology Medical Director Position Title Hematology/Oncology Medical Director – Loyola University Medical Center Position Number Job Category University Faculty Job Type Full-Time FLSA Status Exempt Campus Maywood-Health Sciences Campus Location Code HEMATOLOGY - ONCOLOGY (06508A) Department Name HEMATOLOGY ONCOLOGY Is this split and/or fully grant funded? No Duties and Responsibilities
The Division of Hematology/Oncology at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine is searching for Medical Director. The Medical Director provides leadership for all aspects of the Hematology/Oncology Division including clinical service, teaching and research. The incumbent will be responsible for recruitment and retention of faculty and will serve as a mentor to all division faculty. The Medical Director will work closely with the Department of Medicine, Department of Cancer Biology and Cancer Center leadership to develop and implement strategic plans for an outstanding basic, translational and clinical research enterprise. The Medical Director will create efficient clinical services that deliver compassionate and evidence-based care for patients requiring Hematology/Oncology consultation. The Medical Director will build a management culture based on teamwork, open communication, prudent risk taking, innovation and accountability.
The Medical Director will take a leadership role in the clinical and translational research program, encouraging faculty to increase patient enrollment in clinical trials and develop innovative investigator initiated trials. He/she is also expected to maintain a robust funded research portfolio and will assure that these missions are fulfilled in an environment that fosters continuing medical education and training of Hematology/Oncology fellows.
The Medical Director will assure that clinical faculty within the Division provide:
• Inpatient and outpatient care at Loyola University Medical Center and Edward Hines VA Hospital for patients with medical oncologic and hematologic malignancies, benign hematology and related medical conditions
• Active participation in basic, translational and clinical research.
• Contribution to a robust menu of clinical treatment options, optimally on a clinical trial.
• Training and mentorship of house staff and students
In the area of quality, the Medical Director will work collaboratively with the Department of Medicine and Cancer Center Leadership to take an active role in quality improvement and assurance activities and projects of high quality cost-effective care. This would include development and review of quality improvement plans, leading regular multi-disciplinary meetings to review and analyze outcomes, and continuous quality improvements for operations.
From an operations perspective, the Medical Director will work closely with his/her administrator to:
• Provide for meaningful faculty and academic staff development.
• Coordinate special projects that could address administrative, academic, clinical and training initiatives.
• Participate in the development of division strategic plans, both short and long term as well as working with the Chairman’s office on financial and workload strategies.
• Assess and provide annual RVU projections by physician as well as outpatient visits by location.
Minimum requirements for consideration include:
• Board certification in Hematology and/or Medical Oncology from the American Board of Internal Medicine
• Academic and scholarly accomplishments to qualify for the rank of Associate Professor or Professor in the Tenure Track at Loyola University School of Medicine
• A national reputation in research, supported by a portfolio of extramural funding, participation on NIH Study Sections, editorial board appointments or other national and international honors
• A track record of training medical students, residents and fellows
• Mentorship of postgraduate fellows and junior faculty toward career success in academic medicine
• A minimum of 5 years of administrative experience with clinical and/or research programs
• Experience as a consulting Hematology/Oncology specialist in a tertiary care academic medical center
Loyola University Medical Center ( LUMC ) is a 547-licensed-bed quaternary hospital in Maywood, Illinois that includes the William G. & Mary A. Ryan Center for Heart & Vascular Medicine, the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, a Level 1 trauma center, Illinois’s largest burn center, a certified comprehensive stroke center and a children’s hospital. Loyola also trains the next generation of caregivers through its academic affiliation with Loyola University Chicago’s Stritch School of Medicine and the Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing. Loyola has 7,221 employees including 859 physicians, 491 residents and 108 fellows. Loyola is consistently ranked among the top hospitals in Illinois, and is currently ranked No. 4 in the state by both U.S. News & World Report and Newsweek. LUMC is part of Loyola Medicine, a three-hospital system that includes LUMC, Gottlieb Memorial Hospital and MacNeal Hospital, as well as convenient locations offering primary care, specialty care and immediate care services from more than 1,800 physicians throughout Cook, Will and DuPage counties. Loyola Medicine is part of Trinity Health, one of the largest Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation with 92 hospitals in 22 states.
Qualifications Physical Demands Working Conditions Minimum Education and/or Work Experience Open Date 05/26/2021 Close Date Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested candidates should email cover letter and CV to Maureen Galvin, Physician Recruitment Office, at email@example.com as well as apply online at www.careers.luc.edu
Quick Link for Posting https://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/16040 Job Number S201105-R2 Organizational Location HEALTH SCIENCES CAMPUS
Number of Vacancies Desired Start Date 09/01/2021 Position End Date Open Until Filled Yes Applicant Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).