Low Voltage/Datacenter Technician, Information Technology
The Information Technology department invites applications for a Low Voltage/Datacenter Technician to join their team. Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure in Central IT, this position will have dual responsibility as a low voltage and datacenter technician. This position is a high-profile position that requires a person who communicates clearly and well with all campus personnel at all levels - students, faculty, staff and administration.
The incumbent in this role will be responsible for installing the University's network infrastructure to include the copper, fiber, and other telecommunications media and associated equipment. They will also monitor data center operations, which includes managing rack space and assisting racking and cabling of equipment. In addition, this position will work with vendors to perform annual maintenances in the datacenters and work with facilities services when issues arise in the datacenter. This position will also monitor security cameras and manage access into data centers and will help facilitate access to distributed users who have severs co-located in UM’s datacenters.
They will provide second tier user support for network issues and knowledge transfer to enhance first tier support by service desk personnel. Occasional work outside standard business hours is required for system maintenance and repair. This position works closely with the Cyber-Infrastructure team on existing networks and new projects. Examples include retrofitting existing buildings for increased wired and WiFi coverage, a renovation project on a major campus building, and upgrade of a VoIP system.
Low Voltage Technician
- Install low voltage systems including Cat6, Speaker wire, IP Surveillance cameras, and other low voltage systems.
- Installs cabling and devices to conformance to BICSI standards and local electrical codes.
- Troubleshoot capabilities for low voltage systems utilizing wiring schematics, computer software, and diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to read prints.
- Operate and care for tools and equipment.
- Daily support of the University Network including troubleshooting network issues, replacement of obsolete or defective network equipment and installation of new network equipment.
- Assist in planning designs for infrastructure, which includes outside plant cable and cable pathways. All infrastructure designs must comply with UM and industry standards. Infrastructure designs must allow for future growth for in-house or contracted installations.
- Perform physical installation of inter and intra building copper, fiber and coax cable on an as needed basis
- Perform the work in-house and works with outside vendors.
- Provide hands-on coordination of installation and maintenance of network, voice, video, telepresence, and computing equipment.
- Perform implementation of multiple and concurrent campus-wide projects
- Ensure that all work performed both in-house and by vendors, adheres to UM standards
- Works with both Network Engineering and Infrastructure groups on network projects as assigned
- Monitor data center systems according to well defined monitoring and reporting procedures
- Complete simple maintenance tasks and cleaning duties around the UM Data Centers facilities
- Check in visitors to the data center in compliance with strict visitor access procedures
- Physically assist with the assembly and racking of network and server equipment
- Perform cable installations, cable management hardware rack/stack installations, testing, and troubleshooting using standard datacenter processes
- Alert management to any problems or concerns that arise
- Work with various cable that include but are not limited to: twisted pair, coax, power limited tray, stranded, solid conductor low voltage, Category 5, Category 6, single and multi -mode fiber optic cables
- Pulling, placement, termination, testing, and labeling
- Investigate customer issues and design appropriate solutions
- Maintain inventory stock supplies
- Proven ability to contribute and work in a team environment
- Ability to identify and analyze issues and problems, develop solutions and use judgment to make sound and dependable decisions.
- Ability to communicate with team members, other support areas, vendors and customers, exchanging ideas, information and instructions in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to take personal responsibility for resolving difficult, contentious or complex issues.
- Good knowledge of low voltage systems and troubleshooting
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, at least one industry standard certification (such as BICSI Installer, or low voltage electrician), and two (2) years of experience working in a low voltage field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in low voltage installation
- BICSI Installer 1, or a certified Low Voltage Electrician.
- Knowledge of cabling standards including both copper and fiber optic cabling, including copper patch panels, 110 blocks and 66 blocks
- Knowledge of Fluke network test equipment including OTDR and Power Meters, as well as, Aruba Wireless Networking including AP installation and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of UPS systems
- Knowledge of PLC systems, including sensors, communication devices, and I/O blocks
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Net Sys/Comm Analyst II
Position Number: 480850
Department: Information Technology
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year. Position requires after hours availability.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, June 27, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular