Assistant Professor, Director of Field Education
Posting Number F00108P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1830 Working Title Assistant Professor, Director of Field Education Position Number Department Social Work About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The University has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within the city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully-manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in the NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Social Work Program seeks a committed educator with a demonstrated ability to teach throughout a generalist social work curriculum and administer a field education program. The Director of Field Education recruits agencies to host BSW internships, trains agency field instructors, assigns students to placements, supervises faculty field consultants and seminar leaders, monitors and assures overall quality of internship experiences. This is a 9-month appointment. Position includes a 3/3 teaching load, 1/1 administrative assignment, maintenance of scholarship, and service expectations including, but not limited to committee service, student advising, and departmental collaboration. The Social Work Program at UAFS offers a CSWE accredited B.S.W. The position reports to the Social Work Program Director.
Summary of Job Duties
• Teaching BSW program courses, specifically 3 courses per semester (Fall, Spring), topics determined by program needs and applicant’s expertise.
• Administer field education program, includes recruiting and developing field placement sites, conducting orientation and training of field instructors and student interns, community faculty field liaisons and seminar leaders. Evaluate and process applications for program admission and internships.
• Scholarship/research, per promotion requirements, includes activities to inform the social work profession (e.g., offering continuing education seminars, conference presentations, practice related publications), maintaining social work licensure ( LCSW ) through continuing education.
• Service, per academic year and as assigned, includes student advising, university and community service, completion of required reports for accreditation.
• Development and design of new curricula; availability to teach day and, on occasion, evening courses; use of a variety of presentation formats (e.g., 16-week, 8-week, fully online, and hybrid designs).
• Student recruitment and retention activities.
• Availability to teach in a diversity of formats inclusive of full-online, occasional evenings and weekends; experience teaching social work field instruction.
• Attendance and participation in all faculty and administrative meetings and attend all convocations in full regalia is required.
• Annual reports, monthly updates.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates.
• Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
MSW from a CSWE -accredited social work program.
Minimum of two years of post- MSW practice experience; and holding an LMSW / LCSW .
Program/agency administration and/or supervisory experience.
LMSW / LCSW
College-level teaching experience.
Candidates holding a Ph.D. in Social Work, or D.S.W or related field, ABD degree candidates acceptable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Diverse knowledge and experiences in direct social work practice.
• Supervision abilities.
• Solid pedagogical knowledge and skills.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to working with a team.
• Ability to appropriately use instructional technologies.
Special Job Dimensions
Employee needs to be physically able to complete job requirements; Possess the ability to design his/her courses and to incorporate multiple intelligences. Employee must have the ability to manage the teaching load as uniquely defined earlier in this document, engage in scholarship/research, and service, broadly defined.
Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, occasional evenings and weekends.
Salary Salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 05/26/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Open until filled.
Anticipated start date 08/19/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Related Certifications
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)