Rheumatology Clinician Educator
Rheumatology Clinician Educator
College/School/Unit: Dell Medical School
Department: Internal Medicine
Posted: May 20, 2021
Apply By: Open until filled
The Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin is seeking an exceptional, rheumatology-trained physician to join the Department of Internal Medicine as an Clinician-Educator in collaboration with CommUnityCare, a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) and main teaching site for our Internal Medicine residency program.
Dell Medical School's mission is to revolutionize how people get and stay healthy by:
- Educating leaders who transform health care;
- Evolving new models of person-centered, multidisciplinary care that reward value;
- Advancing innovation from discovery to outcomes;
- Improving health in our community as a model for the nation; and
- Redesigning the academic health environment to better serve society.
While medical education has been part of the clinical landscape of Austin Texas since the mid-1970s, the Dell Medical School enrolled its first class of 50 undergraduate medical students in June of 2016. As part of The University of Texas at Austin, one of the nation's leading research universities, the Dell Medical School will pursue innovation in the re-design of healthcare delivery, excellence in healthcare research, and programs in interdisciplinary and inter-professional education.
Dell Medical School (DMS) is the first medical school established in nearly five decades by a member of the Association of American Universities, an organization of leading public and private research universities. An extraordinary commitment of resources, both public and private, has already been made to enable its development and success. DMS is partnering closely with the community and regional healthcare providers and payers to provide new models for health promotion, healthcare delivery, and clinical care for the community's underserved population.
The Internal Medicine residency has been in existence since 1974. We are a fully ACGME accredited residency sponsored by the University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School. Resident continuity clinics were previously in city sponsored FQHC clinics for decades, and are currently in Southeast Health and Wellness Clinic (SEHWC), a Central Health and CommUnityCare Clinic.
The SEHWC is a result of a collaborative effort involving the Southeast Austin community, Central Health, and CommUnityCare. The site offers a full range of healthcare services, including dental care, family medicine, internal medicine, specialty care, behavioral health, radiology, and an on-site pharmacy. Additional community resources are available including meeting rooms, exercise spaces, and a demonstration kitchen.
- MD or DO degree with Board Certification (or Board Eligibility if within 2 years of residency) in Internal Medicine.
- Unrestricted licensed to practice medicine in the State of Texas.
- Strong clinical teaching skills.
- Training and experience in quality improvement initiatives.
- Eligible for appointment as an Assistant or Associate Professor
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Well-documented speaking, teaching, and writing skills.
- Ability to communicate with others in a clear, understandable and professional manner in person and on the phone.
- Experience in precepting Internal Medicine Residents in an outpatient setting is preferred.
- Effective professional management skills, including the ability to plan, organize and schedule work in an efficient and productive manner, focusing on key priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to interact with peers, executives, employees, and consultants in a manner that represents the Dell Medical School positively.
- Sound judgment in decision-making.
- Ability to learn and apply new information, knowledge and experiences in a timely manner.
- Flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and projects and to prioritize.
- Plan, promote, demonstrate, recommend and coordinate high standards of medical practice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Fluent in Spanish language.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
To apply, visit https://faculty.utexas.edu/career/74755