Theatre Design and Production Associate Professor
College and Area Information:
Eastern Arizona College’s District Offices are located in Thatcher, Arizona, a beautiful rural area with easy access to arid as well as mountainous recreation. The College is located approximately 125 miles northeast of Tucson and 165 miles southeast of Phoenix. EAC is a comprehensive community college offering five associate degrees across nearly 50 programs of study. Eastern Arizona College is the oldest member of the Arizona Community College system and is fully accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.
The Theatre Design and Production Associate Professor reports to the Director of Fine Arts.
- Master of Fine Arts; or, an equivalent combination of education (including 18 graduate credit hours in an appropriate area), training, and experience.
- Minimum of three years of experience in theatre production.
- Teaching experience at the secondary or post-secondary level or equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent technical skills in design, planning, and construction.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using tools, production techniques, and building materials.
- Experience in the supervision of students or others serving as assistants or volunteers in the area of design and production.
- Ability to perform physical work including frequent lifting (occasional 50-75 pounds), constructing, reaching, bending, and twisting.
- Ability to work at heights and in challenging environments including fly spaces.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a departmental structure and with other faculty in the design and implementation of learning opportunities, curriculum, and assessment.
- Ability to relate well to students from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds and varying degrees of ability and/or experience.
- Willing and able to work a non-traditional schedule to include late afternoons, nights, and weekends.
- Experience with CAD software and other theatrical design sources.
- A strong interest in and commitment to teaching theatre design and production.
- Broad knowledge of the theatre arts and the ability to teach various courses within this field, as needed.
- Commitment to the implementation of safe work practices and protocol.
- Experience in managing and meeting production budgets for theatrical projects.
- Ability to assist with the repair and maintenance of theatre resources and equipment.
- Ability to promote the Theatre Arts program, actively recruit students, and encourage participation.
- Online instructional experience.
- High level of positive and proactive collegiality.
- A clear understanding of and commitment to the college’s philosophy and goals.
- Teach a variety of community college theatre production and design classes to fulfill a minimum requirement of 32 adjusted load hours per academic year; up to six adjusted load hours of overload may be requested. May also be required to teach Introduction to Theatre.
- Maintain a minimum accountability week of 35 hours on campus (including five posted office hours) for teaching, advising, helping students, preparing curriculum, and other instructionally-related activities.
- Oversee and implement the production aspects of the Eastern Arizona College Theatre and develop and teach all areas of the design/production curriculum.
- Collaborate with theatre faculty and production team members in the selection, conceptual design, construction, rehearsal, and performance of a variety of theatrical plays, musicals, and projects.
- Manage and guide associated theatre staff, including the Scene Shop Foreman.
- Train, teach, and supervise student work staff, volunteers, and practicum students; guide and supervise lab work done by students in scenery, painting, properties, stage make-up, and run crew as part of the courses and productions of the Eastern Arizona College Theatre.
- Ensure safe work practices in all production areas.
- Design and construct the scenery/props for two Eastern Arizona College Theatre productions per semester and act as the scene supervisor for all departmental productions in the academic year.
- Provide assistance and guidance to students working on independent study assignments in theatrical design, including projects staged by the Repertory Acting Company.
- Provide budget information to supervisors in a timely fashion and, within the budget guidelines, procure necessary design and production materials.
- Oversee and provide facility and equipment repair, maintenance, and replacement, as necessary.
- Participate in departmental administrative activities, including student recruitment and advising.
- Work closely with high school theatre groups, college professors, and local community organizations in the College’s service area to promote theatre scholarship and appreciation.
- Serve on institutional committees and perform other duties as assigned.
Applicants should send a letter of application addressing each of the required and preferred qualifications and describing experience related to the position responsibilities, a vita, transcripts (if copies are sent, official transcripts must be on file prior to the date of hire), a signed copy of the EAC application form, and a minimum of three written confidential letters of professional references, to:
Eastern Arizona College Human Resources
Theatre Design and Production AP Position
615 N. Stadium Avenue
Thatcher, AZ 85552-0769
The submission of all required application materials for the screening committee’s review is the responsibility of the applicant.
Applicants must be prepared to interview at their own expense.
All applicant materials must be received by 5:00 p.m. Friday, June 30, 2021. A decision is anticipated on or about July 30, 2021.
Compensation and Position Availability:
The initial position compensation range is $48,035 to $74,721 per current salary schedule plus a cash flex benefit. The position also includes excellent employee benefits. The anticipated position start date is August 16, 2021.
- Voice: (928) 428-8915
- FAX: (928) 428-2578
- E-mail: email@example.com