TITLE: Director, Pre-Law Program
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: College of Humanities and Social
REPORTS TO (TITLE): Assistant Dean for Student Services,
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Student Services in the
College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Director of the
Pre-Law Program recruits, academically advises, and prepares
program students for application to law school. As a recruiter, the
Director collaborates with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
to identify qualified high school students at recruiting events and
activities, promotes the Pre-Law Program, and creates a pipeline to
transition students from high school to college study.
As an academic advisor, this individual is part of a centralized
professional advising team that develops, coordinates, implements,
and assesses activities designed to assist students in the Pre-Law
Program in their transition to University life, to ensure that they
enroll in the appropriate courses, to help them find appropriate
department/faculty advising and resources in their major program,
and to stay on track to timely degree completion.
The Director of the Pre-Law Program will plan and coordinate
programmatic activities each semester, build relationships with
alumni who attended law school, panel discussions and invited
presentations by visiting law professionals, coordination of
student clubs and organizations aligned with pre-law study, LSAT
preparatory workshops and activities, and collaboration with Career
Services to help students develop professional writing, speaking,
and interviewing skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
- Collaborates with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and
Academic Departments to promote and recruit students into the
Montclair State University Pre-Law Program, including participation
in recruiting open houses and other events, new student
orientation, and family orientation programs.
- Liaises with regional law schools to develop pipelines,
partnerships and articulation agreements for Montclair State
University students to gain preferential admission.
- Supports the execution of a comprehensive and holistic academic
central advising program that addresses the needs and promotes
academic success of students in the Pre-Law Program.
- Provides academic advising to Pre-Law Program students,
including course selection, developmental advising about career and
major choices, intrusive advising, counseling out students at risk
of failing to meet the academic standards to remain in the Pre-Law
Program, advise students on their suitability for law school, and
- Maintains a caseload of undergraduate students in the Pre-Law
Program from their admission into the program.
- Maintains currency in the theory and practice of Academic
Advising and the expectations of law schools for admission.
- Helps students in the Pre-Law Program understand and
successfully negotiate University procedures, policies, and
- Plans and coordinates program activities each semester, designs
summer programs, panel discussions and invited presentations by
visiting law professionals, and coordination of student clubs,
especially the Pre-Law Society, and organizations aligned with
- Provides regular LSAT preparatory workshops and resources for
students in the Pre-Law Program.
- Collaborates with Career Services staff to help Pre-Law Program
students develop professional writing, speaking, and interviewing
- Coordinates Law Admissions Day and assists students in the
Pre-Law Program with application for internships and other relevant
experiential learning activities, as well as preparation of law
- Tracks student applications and acceptances into law programs
through LSAC and produces annual reports.
- Works with the Dean and the College Advisory Board to support
Pre-Law initiatives in conjunction with College faculty and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any
- Graduation from an accredited law school with Juris
- Minimum of two years’ full-time professional experience working
in a higher education setting or similar organization.
- Familiarity and experience with pre-law academic advising,
programming, and co-curricular requirements.
- Experience with higher education recruiting, and
- Facility with Banner, DegreeWorks, Navigate, and other
applications related to student academic records and student
- Familiarity with current understanding of core concepts,
values, and competencies of Academic Advising.