Director, Pre-Law Program
TITLE: Director, Pre-Law Program
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: College of Humanities and Social Sciences
REPORTS TO (TITLE): Assistant Dean for Student Services, CHSS
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Student Services in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Director of the Pre-Law Program recruits, academically advises, and prepares program students for application to law school. As a recruiter, the Director collaborates with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to identify qualified high school students at recruiting events and activities, promotes the Pre-Law Program, and creates a pipeline to transition students from high school to college study.
As an academic advisor, this individual is part of a centralized professional advising team that develops, coordinates, implements, and assesses activities designed to assist students in the Pre-Law Program in their transition to University life, to ensure that they enroll in the appropriate courses, to help them find appropriate department/faculty advising and resources in their major program, and to stay on track to timely degree completion.
The Director of the Pre-Law Program will plan and coordinate programmatic activities each semester, build relationships with alumni who attended law school, panel discussions and invited presentations by visiting law professionals, coordination of student clubs and organizations aligned with pre-law study, LSAT preparatory workshops and activities, and collaboration with Career Services to help students develop professional writing, speaking, and interviewing skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborates with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Academic Departments to promote and recruit students into the Montclair State University Pre-Law Program, including participation in recruiting open houses and other events, new student orientation, and family orientation programs.
- Liaises with regional law schools to develop pipelines, partnerships and articulation agreements for Montclair State University students to gain preferential admission.
- Supports the execution of a comprehensive and holistic academic central advising program that addresses the needs and promotes academic success of students in the Pre-Law Program.
- Provides academic advising to Pre-Law Program students, including course selection, developmental advising about career and major choices, intrusive advising, counseling out students at risk of failing to meet the academic standards to remain in the Pre-Law Program, advise students on their suitability for law school, and academic coaching.
- Maintains a caseload of undergraduate students in the Pre-Law Program from their admission into the program.
- Maintains currency in the theory and practice of Academic Advising and the expectations of law schools for admission.
- Helps students in the Pre-Law Program understand and successfully negotiate University procedures, policies, and regulations.
- Plans and coordinates program activities each semester, designs summer programs, panel discussions and invited presentations by visiting law professionals, and coordination of student clubs, especially the Pre-Law Society, and organizations aligned with pre-law study.
- Provides regular LSAT preparatory workshops and resources for students in the Pre-Law Program.
- Collaborates with Career Services staff to help Pre-Law Program students develop professional writing, speaking, and interviewing skills.
- Coordinates Law Admissions Day and assists students in the Pre-Law Program with application for internships and other relevant experiential learning activities, as well as preparation of law school applications.
- Tracks student applications and acceptances into law programs through LSAC and produces annual reports.
- Works with the Dean and the College Advisory Board to support Pre-Law initiatives in conjunction with College faculty and alumni.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Graduation from an accredited law school with Juris Doctor.
- Minimum of two years’ full-time professional experience working in a higher education setting or similar organization.
- Familiarity and experience with pre-law academic advising, programming, and co-curricular requirements.
- Experience with higher education recruiting, and retention.
- Facility with Banner, DegreeWorks, Navigate, and other applications related to student academic records and student support services.
- Familiarity with current understanding of core concepts, values, and competencies of Academic Advising.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Montclair
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Montclair
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Montclair
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Montclair
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Montclair