Director of Campaign Operations
Director of Campaign Operations
Department: Alumnae/i Affairs & Development Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 05/25/2021
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS075P
About Vassar College
Founded in 1861, Vassar was established with a mission to offer young women a liberal arts education equal to the best men’s colleges of the day. Coeducational since 1969, Vassar continues to reflect its bold and distinctive history of progressive leadership in higher education and is consistently ranked among the country’s top residential liberal arts institutions. Today, under the leadership of President Elizabeth Bradley, Vassar is deeply engaged in a comprehensive and participatory approach to the ongoing work of becoming a fully inclusive and equitable community. We affirm the inherent value of a diverse campus through a commitment to need-blind admissions and a curriculum that is reflective of the interconnectedness of our lives as members of multiple local and global communities. Vassar is poised to launch an historic comprehensive campaign that will deepen our investment in financial aid and student life, expand research opportunities for our world-class faculty, and provide critical support for curricular innovation, racial justice and community engagement, environmental sustainability, admissions and career education. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Office of Alumnae/i Affairs and Development (OAAD) seeks a Director of Campaign Operations to join our senior team in the College's upcoming campaign. Reporting to the Vice President, the Director will manage the strategic organization and implementation of the Campaign. The Director will work closely with the team of Associate Vice Presidents and others to keep the Campaign on schedule and progressing with a high level of visibility and momentum that engenders a sense of excitement, optimism and confidence among the staff, volunteer leadership, and donors in meeting Campaign goals. The Director will develop appropriate and meaningful criteria to track and ensure the timely and successful progress of all relevant campaign areas toward reaching their financial and other non-monetary goals. We welcome candidates who have experience within and beyond higher education who embrace Vassar's mission and its commitment to diversity and inclusion, and who wish to have a real impact on advancing the College at this pivotal time.
- Provide the Vice President with regular and meaningful
assessments of the campaign's progress against goals.
- Use data and analysis to track campaign trends, identify
potential concerns, and facilitate timely shifts in focus,
direction, or thinking, as well as to identify opportunities to
- Manage the work of campaign committees, including, but not
limited to, monitoring and tracking next steps with volunteers to
keep the campaign on track.
- Design and manage campaign reports for President, Vice
President, Board of Trustees, campaign leadership, volunteers, and
- Track prospect lists, their projected goals, and the level of
active prospect strategies and activities of each area.
- Manage campaign Giving Opportunities Database and work closely
with the Prospect Development and Research team to coordinate donor
- In collaboration with the AVPs, develop meaningful progress
assessments of their program activity and fundraising
- Develop and track indicators of non-financial engagement and
their goals for the campaign.
- Develop a system to track key communications milestones and
projects for the campaign.
- Identify opportunities for measuring and reporting on the
effectiveness of individual campaign communication
- Coordinate with Advancement Services to track and monitor
- Provide Campaign Consultant with information and data needed as
- Take on other duties as assigned.
This position is for the duration of the campaign, currently anticipated to close in 2026, with the possibility of an renewal/extension beyond that date.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years or more of related experience in project management
with a preference for experience in fundraising and higher
- Strong data analysis skills with knowledge of budget and
accounting practices preferred.
- Commitment to working in a diverse and inclusive
- Significant experience with complex projects, requiring
attention to detail and strong collaboration skills working within
the existing team-based structure.
- Experience with report design, data analysis and data
- Experience with project management and project management
software to implement and manage a process for tracking campaign
- Utmost discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong organizational, time management, written, verbal
communication, and listening skills.
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy and
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and collaborate with
various members of the senior team, fundraising and engagement
teams, support staff, and campaign leadership.
- Knowledge of CRM database management systems and reporting
- Proficient in MSWord, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Suite, and the ability and curiosity to learn new software.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1927.