Public Communication Spec
CHHS - Dean's Office - 31500
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The College of Health and Human Services ( CHHS ) is an interdisciplinary and integrated academic unit that includes three professional schools: The School of Nursing, the School of Social Work, and the School of Health and Applied Human Sciences. The Office of the Dean of the CHHS provides overall administrative support and oversight for all units within the College. In addition, the Office of the Dean coordinates a common support model that facilitates operational services, technical support, business services, support for research, and support for community engagement across the three schools.
The overarching goal of the CHHS is to help individuals, families and communities live healthier, more prosperous, and more productive lives. We strive to accomplish this goal through excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service.
CHHS - Dean's Office - 31500 College
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
This position will support the marketing and communications efforts in the College of Health and Human Services ( CHHS ) by collaborating with stakeholders within the college and across campus to ensure that CHHS marketing and communication efforts are well developed and constructed within university standards.
• Support Marketing and Communications Team in crafting, writing and editing creative content for promotional materials, programs and events, website, and social media
• Build and maintain a collection of photos, graphics, and video clips to use in digital content
• Assist three professional schools with the creation of e-newsletters
• Monitor website and social media metrics and analyze regularly
• Assist with the management of the CHHS’ alumni communication and engagement efforts to cultivate more purposeful, meaningful, and impactful relationships with its alumni
• Manages and oversees student workers through hiring, providing support, and training
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Preferred education, professional skills and experience
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or a related area and two to three years experience working as a communications professional
• Experience in media production
• Strong understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, web content management systems, and email marketing platforms
• Experience managing social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to manage time and multiple tasks well and respond rapidly to new events and competing priorities
• Ability to use inclusive language, communicate well to diverse audiences, and to learn about diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
This position requires a well-rounded individual with excellent communication and writing skills. Candidate must be extremely reliable, able to work independently, organized, and an excellent team player in this fast-paced environment.
Required Certifications or licensure
$33,000 - $40,000
1.0 (40 hours per week)
Months Per Year
Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 5:00PM
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
Special Notes to Applicants
PLEASE NOTE : This posting will close at 11:59PM on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application before you apply for this position. Failure to answer all required questions will cause the system to disqualify your application.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
You will be required to attach a cover letter and resume to successfully apply for this position. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
This position is time-limited with the possibility of continuation pending availability of funds and department need.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. UNC Wilmington participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
External Link to Posting
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
- Portfolio/Work Sample
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington