Extension Agent I - IV – Environmental Horticulture (74982)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families and communities.
University of Florida/IFAS Extension and Alachua County are seeking a full-time, permanent status accruing Extension Agent to lead environmental horticulture education through the design, implementation, and evaluation of extension programming that meets the needs of the county’s diverse population. As the Agent, you will spend about 50% of your time on environmental and residential horticulture programs, about 45% leading the Alachua County Master Gardener Volunteer (MGV) program, and 5% in support of the 4-H youth development program in your area of expertise.
You will build an advisory committee composed of citizens and professionals that will assist you with program priorities and design to reach your audiences. You will obtain financial resources to support your programs and you will manage all components (e.g., policies, records, risk, communication, and accountability). You will cooperate in interdisciplinary projects, provide service to schools, develop creative works (presentations, posters, website development, etc.), write non-technical people-friendly publications, and participate in professional societies.
This role provides the opportunity to make a positive impact in the Alachua County community as you help shape future generations. As such, you will collaborate with the County Extension Director and District Extension Director on other responsibilities that benefit the total county extension program.
What you will do:
- Develop, implement, maintain, and evaluate comprehensive county horticulture and volunteer development programs in cooperation with local citizens, organizations, volunteers, businesses, agencies, and county/state extension colleagues.
- Teach Florida Friendly Landscaping and home food production.
- Recruit, train, manage, and retain existing and potential MGVs.
- Use resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovation to strengthen current educational programs while reviewing and implementing new policies, maintaining records, assessing risks, communicating, and marketing effectively across social media platforms, managing financial resources, and creating education materials and opportunities for Alachua County.
- Collaborate with the District Extension Director and other Northeast CEDs on multi-county projects.
- Assume other responsibilities that benefit the total county extension program as assigned by the District Extension Director.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background check and drug screening.
Establishing residency in Alachua County is expected, as we expect the Alachua County Environmental Horticulture Agent and Master Gardener Coordinator become a part of community life. Your office will be located at the new Alachua County Extension Office building that is nearing completion in Newberry. The current Alachua county Extension office is temporarily located in Jonesville, a few miles east of Newberry.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
What you will bring (required):
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in horticulture or a closely-related field. We will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree will be earned by August, 2021. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to advance in your career by making at least 50% progress towards obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Technical expertise in horticulture.
- A commitment to positive and proactive customer service, shown by timely and efficient response to clients.
- Strong oral and written interpersonal, communication, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse responsibilities.
- Good record-keeping techniques.
- A commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends and overnight travel.
What you will bring (preferred):
- A master’s or higher degree.
- Experience working with environmental horticulture, volunteers, management and/or teaching.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for the audience.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together for a higher goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- Experience as a communicator who is comfortable presenting in front of small and large crowds.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships.
- Experience acquiring extramural funding.
- Outstanding management skills (coach, mentor, motivator, etc.).
- Leadership and problem-solving skills.
- A strong commitment to community.
- Familiarity working in political settings.
- Experience creating a vision and getting buy-in from others.
- Experience working in multicultural settings and with underserved audiences.
- Technological literacy necessary for communication and program management, including social media.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/88257 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/ .
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Gainesville