Data Visualization Analyst
The Data Visualization Analyst serves as the technical expert on data visualization practices and governance policies, providing data visualization solutions to campus constituents for institutional analytics and reporting in the Office of Institutional Research. The position focuses on building dashboards and analytical reports that drive cross-functional initiatives on university business operations and evaluation studies. This role is responsible for the full cycle development, implementation, and visualization of the university enterprise data to automate reporting and generate data insights. It supports the Campus Data Warehouse project to implement a single source of truth that is consumable and digestible for appropriate stakeholders. This position works closely with university executives, stakeholders, and various business partners of the Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Analytics Unit including the IR and IT departments to provide data-driven solutions and fulfill their analytics needs.
- Lead the development of IR dashboards to automate data reporting using census and real-time PeopleSoft data
- Perform IR website development and maintenance. Design, update, and implement web features, enhancements and contents through CMS and HTML scripting
- Enhance self-service capabilities by providing data reports, infographics, or fact sheets based on client’s needs
- Lead the development of Campus Profile Report using innovative visualization techniques
- Create visualized work products to grow IR’s reporting and business intelligence capabilities
- Contribute relevant information to the data governance policy to ensure appropriate use of work products by all users
- Takes responsibility for data accuracy and integrity, performs data checking and validation, uses analytic and debugging skills to track down data discrepancies, and takes steps to fix data issues
- Act as the go-to person for dashboard-related questions and inquiries. Educate and train customers to use IR dashboards as an informational and analytical tool
- Establish close partnerships with colleges, departments, divisions, the academic senate, and various university committees to provide data strategies, solutions, information, and research to support evaluation studies
- Provides technical support to Faculty Planner, analyzes data requirements, feeds student and course data to the system, assists in the implementation, and provides post-implementation support
- Provides business support to accreditation, academic scheduling and space management, academic program planning, and other department/program reviews. Participate in business meetings, documents business processes, identify key metrics and build related dashboards
- Engage in complex data compilation, predictive modeling, statistics, and trend analysis activities in support of the Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Analytics Unit’s project goals and university-wide constituent functional needs
- Prepare oral and written informative, comprehensible, and formatted reports of research findings and make presentations to facilitate the interpretation of data to key campus constituencies, on request and proactively
- Coordinate special studies assigned by the Vice Provost for Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Analytics or designate
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of database management systems and skilled programming abilities in Structured Query Language (SQL) or other data query languages, capable of writing complex queries to manipulate data
- Comprehensive knowledge of and demonstrated technical proficiency in online reporting, web development, and content management
- Proficient with Tableau and other BI tools. Experience with writing scripts to create reports with a detail-oriented approach to data visualization
- Able to interpret business needs to make informed design and reporting decisions, develop data visualizations based on strategic requirements
- Familiarity with data practices, including documentation and writing a data dictionary
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to identify and resolve data issues
- Ability to audit data to ensure data accuracy and integrity
- General knowledge of SPSS, SAS, Stata, and/or R to perform basic statistical analyses
- Ability to accurately compile custom data sets
- Ability to produce well-formatted, easy-to-read data reports and extracts
- Ability to perform data management and stewardship to obtain desired results
- Ability to develop techniques for handling a large variety of detailed data and ability to analyze these data
- Ability to manage multiple projects with a high degree of quality
- Understand business and IT processes and be able to communicate with both business clients and IT supports
- Ability to mentor and train clients and customers as necessary
- Organizational and planning skills with attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively and fit into a fast-paced working environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of assigned projects, and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to effectively analyze client and business needs and adopt an effective course of action
- Ability to exercise initiative, flexibility, good judgement and discretion, and work well independently and as part of a team
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university. Additional qualifying professional experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis
- Three years of progressively responsible technical research or statistical experience including or supplemented by one year in the interpretation and graphic presentation of data. Graduate study in the social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public or business administration or engineering may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Master’s Degree in data visualization, information design, media design, education, social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public administration, business, data analytics, engineering, computer or data science or other related fields
- More than three years of professional experience in designing and developing high-impact visualization solutions
- Experience written communication skills
- Experience using SQL and Tableau
- Experience with writing scripts to analyze data and perform data queries, creating reports with quantitative modeling, detail-oriented approach to data visualization and validation
- Experience transforming qualitative outcomes into digestible and consumable formats
Classification: Research Technician III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,476/month - $5,400/month
Salary Range: $4,476/month - $8,097/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 25, 2021 through June 15, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 25, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time