Professor of Practice - Instrumental Music Education - (FAC001827)
The Moores School of Music is pleased to invite applications for a full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position as Professor of Practice in Instrumental Music Education for a Fall 2021 appointment.
The selected candidate will serve as a member of the Music Education area, specializing in band. The primary responsibility of this position is the instruction of undergraduate music education majors. Specifically, this position will teach courses in brass and woodwind techniques along with one other course based on candidate strengths and departmental needs. These may include, but are not restricted to, courses in instructional technology, introduction to music education or student teaching. This position will also be responsible for the organization, distribution, and maintenance of instruments used in music education courses. In addition, the position will assist with the coordination and supervision of preservice teacher requirements and credentialing and complete other administrative duties as assigned. Working with the Music Education faculty, this position will be expected to recruit as well as maintain the well-being of students that are reflective of the diverse student body at the University of Houston and the City of Houston as a whole. We welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
In order to receive full consideration for the position, submit the following materials:
- Cover letter & CV
- List of 3 professional references who may be contacted as needed by the search committee
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees held.
The applicant’s references will receive instructions independently on submitting letters electronically. Additional materials may be requested at a later date. Review of applications will begin on June 7, 2021, and continue until the position has been filled.
Submit all materials at the UH website: http://jobs.uh.edu. For questions about the position, please contact Dr. Julie Derges at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- Bachelor of Music Education required. Masters degree in Music Education, Conducting, Music, or related area of study preferred
- Substantial history (8+ years) of demonstrated success as a band director teaching in K-12 classroom and ensemble settings (beginner & middle school experience preferred)
- Proficiency with administrative and instructional technology
- Demonstrated success (or strong potential for) mentoring preservice music educators. Examples include experiences as a cooperating teacher, university instructor, or clinician
- Possess, or show strong potential to develop, meaningful connections with music education colleagues locally and across the state.
In addition, applicants for the position are expected to exhibit the following Core Values and Competencies listed below.
- Passion, energy and tenacity
- Integrity and collegiality, especially in regards to diversity
- An ability to attract resources, including grants or other external sources of support that advance the school’s mission
- An aptitude for building dynamic degree programs and recruiting top-tier students
- An ability to find creative solutions to difficult problems.
MSM faculty are also committed to:
- Excellence in the arts, arts education, and arts scholarship
- Fostering student growth and success
- Collaboration with others, both within and across disciplines.
Notes to Applicant: Official transcripts are required for a faculty appointment and will be requested upon selection of the final candidate. All positions at the university are security sensitive and will require a criminal history check.