Teacher of Applied Piano, School of Music
The University of Montana School of Music seeks a dedicated Teacher of Applied Piano to join a vibrant and active program that provides excellent training and guidance at the undergraduate and master’s level.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Teach and recruit undergraduate and graduate piano majors
- Provide mentorship to students
- Teach upper-division keyboard literature and other related courses according to the needs of the Keyboard Division and School of Music
- Participate in departmental activities including solo and collaborative performing
- Serve as co-artistic director of the Celebrate Piano Series
- Teach and recruit for the summer Piano Camp
- Build relationships with the teachers’ organizations (such as MTNA) in the city, state and region
- Evidence of success in teaching undergraduate and/or graduate applied piano, performing, recruiting, and mentoring
- Experience guiding creative activity
- Record of creative/scholarly accomplishments, as demonstrated through national and/or international presentations at music conferences, performances, master classes, recordings, publications, and/or professional leadership
- Ability to cultivate the uniquely collaborative atmosphere in our piano program who can contribute, through their teaching, performing, and service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community and who will work to build relationships with other departments within the College of the Arts and Media, the city of Missoula, the state of Montana, and beyond
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Earned D.M.A, D.M., or PhD in piano performance with an emphasis/cognate in another area of interest such as collaborative piano, music business, etc. Evidence of successful teaching and performing
- This position is being offered as a part-time, non-tenurable appointment without benefits
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Thursday , June 10, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Part-Time