GEAR UP Specialist
GEAR UP Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Truckee Meadows Community College. If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (775) 673-7168 or email@example.com.
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), located in Reno, Nevada, seeks applicants for a soft funded, GEAR UP First Year Advisor and Recruitment Specialist.
Under the supervisor of the Recruitment and Access Center and in collaboration with NSHE GEAR UP, the GEAR UP First Year Advisor and Recruitment Specialist is responsible for the implementation of GEAR UP grant objectives and recruitment programming. This is a split position with 50% dedicated to the GEAR UP grant and 50% to Recruitment and Outreach. This position provides direct college transition services to assigned high schools, students, and families. The position also serves as an academic advisor for GEAR UP students attending TMCC. As an academic advisor to GEAR UP students, this position assists students with educational planning, goal setting, and degree options and works in a collaborative manner with Advising staff to ensure the information given to students is accurate and timely.
1. Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in education, student development, or a related field.
2. Two years of experience delivering direct services to students and families in a college access or college transition program
3. Experience with social media platforms/technologies that are popular among high school age students such as TikTok, Instagram and texting
1. Master's Degree in an education or counseling field from an accredited institution preferred
2. One year of experience as an Academic Advisor at a college or university setting
3. One year of community college experience
4. One year of experience working with PeopleSoft
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
1. Be innovative, flexible, adaptable and creative.
2. Coordinate and implement events and activities to facilitate the college transition of prospective students at selected high school sites.
3. Present, program, and evaluate recruitment events and activities.
4. Track, follow up and report statistics of prospective/current students each month, semester, and annually.
5. Maintain relationships with counselors and career center coordinators at assigned high schools.
6. Be knowledgeable of TMCC admission information, deadlines, and academic programs for new and prospective students.
7. Assist with TMCC Mascot performances and activities.
8. Utilize TikTok, texting, and other virtual technologies to recruit prospective students.
9. Must be available to work frequent evening and weekend events.
GEAR UP (50%):
1. In collaboration with the NSHE College Coordinator, facilitate high-quality, engaging, and relevant first-year activities (including orientation and advising) at 2. TMCC for each cohort of entering GEAR UP students.
3. Provide innovative, relevant, and engaging programming, including financial literacy, goal setting, social-emotional learning, career exploration, academic advising, and college-readiness activities for GEAR UP students in grades 7-12 and their parents as appropriate; includes summer bridge/transition programming.
4. Serve as academic advisor to GEAR UP students enrolled at TMCC.
5. Fulfill reporting requirements of subgrants and satisfy any additional programming needs of the grant sponsor.
6. Manage GEAR UP social media channels.
7. Travel to GEAR UP schools is required.
- Perform all assigned duties in a manner that is consistent with the standards, mission, and goals of Truckee Meadows Community College
- Comply with department responsibilities and published college policies and procedures and NSHE published college policies and procedures.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality, FERPA and all safety standards and regulations
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum $48,298 Salary placement is dependent on education and experience.
In the Resume/Cover Letter section of the application each of the following must be attached to be given consideration for this position.
- Cover Letter
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. Search committees will use this information to determine that applicants meet minimum qualifications as listed in the job announcement.
This posting will close at 12:00 am on the date listed above. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 pm the day prior.
All documents, including unofficial transcripts for academic positions, must be received prior to the closing date listed on the job announcement.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check upon hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TMCC-External/job/TMCC---Truckee-Meadows-Community-College---Dandini-Campus/GEAR-UP-Specialist_R0124706
Truckee Meadows Community College is a comprehensive educational institution located in Reno, Nevada and is part of the Nevada System of Higher Education. TMCC’s five instructional sites and numerous community locations serves an increasingly diverse population of more than 11,000 students each semester. TMCC, an HSI (Hispanic Serving Institution), is a progressive institution that celebrates inclusion and diversity while supporting core themes of academic excellence, student success, and access to lifelong learning.
A vital leader in the New Nevada’s growing economy, TMCC is located near the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains in an environment rich with a thriving arts, culture, food scene, abundant outdoor activities, and a family-friendly local community. It is only a 3.5 hour drive to San Francisco, CA, a 40-minute drive to Lake Tahoe, and within easy driving distance of four national parks (Great Basin, Yosemite, Lassen, and Death Valley). For more information, please go to www.tmcc.edu or view our virtual tour at tour.tmcc.edu.
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) is committed to providing a place of work and learning free of discrimination on the basis of a person’s age, disability, whether actual or perceived by others (including service-connected disabilities), gender (including pregnancy related conditions), military status or military obligations, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, or religion.