Instructor Positions in Mathematical Sciences (Job #16780)
The School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences at Arizona State University invites applications for up to two full-time, benefits-eligible instructor positions in mathematics and/or statistics with an anticipated start date of August 2021. Subsequent academic year renewals (Aug. 16 – May 15) are contingent upon performance, availability of resources, and the needs of the unit.
The essential duties will be to teach eight sections of lower division service level mathematics classes per academic year, either in-person, online, or both.
- A Masters or Ph.D. degree in mathematics, statistics, mathematics education, or a closely related field by August 10, 2021
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in-person and/or online instruction
- A documented record of excellence in classroom and/or online instruction
- Experience in teaching and curriculum development in beginning courses in college algebra, business mathematics, engineering mathematics, statistics, and/or courses designed for secondary teacher preparation in mathematics both in-person and online formats
- Demonstrated success working with diverse student and/or faculty populations
The School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences (SoMSS, math.asu.edu) at ASU is currently home to about 60 tenured or tenure-track faculty members, 60 instructional faculty, 12 postdoctoral associates, 190 graduate students, 760 undergraduate student majors, and 20 staff members. The School offers bachelors, masters, and doctoral programs in statistics, applied mathematics, mathematics, and mathematics education, as well as undergraduate and masters programs in actuarial science. SoMSS has a strongly interdisciplinary research profile that includes numerous collaborations inside and outside the university, such as in the biological, environmental, medical, physical and social sciences, education, and multiple areas of engineering.
The Tempe campus of Arizona State University has approximately 60,000 students. It is located in the rapidly growing metropolitan Phoenix area, which provides a wide variety of recreational and cultural opportunities. The surrounding countryside is very attractive to outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy hiking, biking, skiing, and other activities in the exquisite Arizona canyon lands and mountainous terrain.
To apply, please submit the following through https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/list/17736:
- a cover letter that briefly explains the candidate’s interest in, and fit with the position
- a curriculum vitae
- a personal statement addressing the candidate’s teaching experience and philosophy
- a statement addressing how your past and /or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence
- At least two letters of recommendation that address the teaching and academic credentials, which must be submitted through mathjobs
The application deadline is 4:00 pm Arizona time on Tuesday, July 6, 2021; only applications that are complete by the deadline will be given full consideration. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool after the deadline. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is closed.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community. Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by visiting https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty.
A background check is required for employment.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html. https://www.asu.edu/titleIX.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.