Senior Manager Payroll
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 5000 Research Forest Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77381.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Senior Manager, Payroll works closely with the Director of Payroll and a variety of LSC departments to align Payroll processes and procedures with LSC strategic objectives. The Sr. Manager serves as a consultant to management on Payroll-related issues and manages the system-wide payroll department. The successful incumbent will not only act as employee champion but will balance the needs of the organization as well. Position assesses and anticipates Payroll-related needs, communicating needs proactively with leadership and seeking to develop System-wide, integrated solutions. Position formulates partnerships across LSC to deliver value added service to management and employees that reflect the business objectives of the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Hire, train, manage, and evaluate a team of Payroll employees, providing leadership, guidance, and support as needed (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions…etc.), work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to Payroll processing in order to reduce legal risks and ensure payroll-related regulatory compliance, partners with legal department as needed/required, ensures Payroll training materials are current and employees maintain an up-to-date knowledge base
- Provide Payroll-related Policy guidance and interpretation, assists supervisors and employees in understanding personnel policies, researches problems and recommends solutions through appropriate channels
- Regularly communicate with Payroll staff, assists with issues and day-to-day work as needed to ensure timely and accurate resolution of payroll-related issues and concerns
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with a variety of LSC groups to help develop programs and policies that are affected by Payroll
- Continuously review, analyze, and evaluate Payroll processes, procedures and operations, consults with the Payroll Director and makes recommendations for improvement as needed
- Establish and maintain department records and reports, participate in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings, such as seminars, training information and system programs
- Coordinate with a variety of LSC departments to plan, develop and implement time lines and procedures in coordination with payroll functions and timelines
- Actively participates as an LSC representative at various meetings and conferences, conduct regular Payroll staff meetings
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent consulting skills
- Excellent client management and business literacy skills
- Strong conflict management skills
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results
- Ability to effectively envision, develop and implement change
- Ability to be flexible and available to interact with employees at all levels
- Must be self-directed and motivated
- Ability to take initiative to identify and anticipate client needs and make recommendations for implementation.
- Ability to organize work around broad organizational goals and processes
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment that requires incumbent to be sensitive to change and responsive to changing goals, priorities, and needs
- Ability to follow basic guidelines for operational activities
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of related work experience, with at least 3 years in a Manager of Director-level position
- Master’s degree
Hiring salary range is $79,960 - $122,340.
Lone Star College provides a hiring salary range for all posted full-time non-faculty positions. Where your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.