Academic Specialist-Advising: Learning Specialist
The MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) is seeking applicants for a full time Academic Specialist position in the area of academic student support MSUCOM is particularly interested in individuals with a commitment to inclusive excellence and a history of promoting diversity in their research, teaching, and service. We strongly encourage candidates to apply who can strengthen MSUCOM's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), as identified in our Diversity, Inclusion, and Safety plan (https://com.msu.edu/about-us/diversity-inclusion-safety)
This position will work with the MSUCOM Office of Academic and Career Advising and work closely with Office of Personal Counseling/Health Promotion to serve osteopathic medical students at any/all stages in the 4-year D.O. curriculum. Located full-time at the East Lansing site, this position will provide advising and resources to medical students at all three MSUCOM campuses (East Lansing, Detroit Medical Center, and Macomb University Center), as well as those completing clinical rotations at 23 base hospitals across the state. Advising services will be offered through a combination of in-person, zoom, and phone interactions.
Key responsibilities of the Specialist position include the following:
- Providing one-on-one, individualized student assessment and guidance to improve academic
- Facilitate workshops on a variety of topics that address students’ needs such as the transition into medical school, time management, note-taking, active study skills and methods.
- Create and maintain academic resources and resource.
- Addressing student mental health concerns and providing front-line triage and referrals as
- Assisting students in their understanding College policies and
- Educating students on preparing for medical licensure
- Assisting clerkship students in identifying resources and strategies for success on COMAT exams.
Performance of the job will entail becoming familiar with the MSUCOM osteopathic medicine curriculum and its policies and procedures. Specialist will maintain a regular schedule of availability to meet with students as needed. Additional interactions with students may take place via telephone, video conferencing, or email. The Specialist will balance defined processes with an individualized approach to help students identify performance obstacles and develop strategies to improve their learning outcomes; and will monitor student performance and initiate contact with students experiencing difficulty. Collaboration with course faculty, administration, and Personal Counseling is expected. Additionally, the Specialist will assist with quality assurance and improvement programs; promoting student awareness of available resources and avenues of support; documenting advising sessions; participating in assigned meetings; and other duties as assigned.
- The successful candidate must have at least a master’s degree in a relevant field.
- One to three years of experience in academic advising and/or a related field.
- Experience in working with professional students and/or in an academic healthcare setting.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills excellent oral and written communication skills; public speaking/presentation skills; and demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
Cover Letter, CV and a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) statement: submit a description of your past experiences and contributions to inclusive excellence. Also, submit a brief description of your ideas for future initiatives that you would like to implement to support MSUCOM's commitment to inclusive excellence (https://com.msu.edu/about-us/diversity-inclusion-safety/initiatives). Posting 706988 at careers.msu.edu
More searches like this
- Administrative Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in East Lansing
- Student Affairs Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in East Lansing
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in East Lansing
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in East Lansing