Human Resources Director
Position Title: Human Resources Director
Supervisor: Executive Director
Department: Director’s Office
Grade: 58, exempt
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Dumbarton Oaks is a research institute, museum, and historic garden of Harvard University, located in Washington, D.C. The institute and its collections focus on the fields of Byzantine, Pre-Columbian, and Garden and Landscape Studies. The Human Resources Director will lead HR operations and closely partner with the Director and Executive Director of Dumbarton Oaks. The Human Resources Director will manage comprehensive human resources consulting services for a unit(s) or department(s) and provide leadership in change processes to create a culture of productivity and engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and liaisons with various Harvard University Offices, including the Faculty of Arts and Sciences HR Office, Office of Labor and Employee Relations, and the Office of the General Counsel.
- Manages HR budget and handles employee visas in consultation with legal counsel.
- Responsible for effective staff management for a group or team of employees, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Establish and monitor effective human resources processes and systems.
- Provide technical guidance, consulting, and problem resolution for human resources-related issues.
- Consult with managers and employees on employee relations issues.
- Coach managers or arrange coaching in performance management, employee relations, retention, and career development.
- Collaborate with managers to identify issues and enhance organizational design, development, or training needs.
- Manage salary administration for new hires, reclassifications, reorganizations, and special projects.
- Manage compensation activities including conducting equity reviews of all staff; ensure that any contractual increases are implemented accurately and on time.
- Manage and implement the annual merit increase and bonus process.
- Provide training to clients/staff.
- May provide recruitment services for departments in collaboration with recruiters.
- May collaborate with a centralized HR function to provide service.
- Ensure compliance with University Human Resources policies, procedures, and requirements, and applicable legal regulations.
Supervises HR Specialist
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum of 7 years relevant HR experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Masters’ degree in Human Resources preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of employment law, employee and labor relations, and experience in strategy formulation.
- Demonstrated experience with the administration of bargaining unit policies and procedures.
- High level of strategic and analytical thinking, detail-oriented, knowledge about resource allocation, change management.
Certificates and Licenses
Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) preferred.
Work is performed in an office setting.
- This role is based at Dumbarton Oaks, located in Washington, D.C.
- Dumbarton Oaks is strongly committed to creating and supporting a diverse workforce. Respect and fairness, kindness and collegiality, and trust and transparency are among the values we espouse and promote in our workplace culture. We work hard to ensure a healthy, inclusive, and positive environment where everyone does their best work in support of the Dumbarton Oaks mission.
- During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with an eventual transition to onsite. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below.
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Support Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Human Resources Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.