Student Support Specialist
Job Posting Title Student Support Specialist Location Los Rios Community College District (Sacramento City College) Department Location Hispanic Serving Institution Posting Number C01452P The Institution
Founded in 1916, Sacramento City College ( SCC ) is a multi-campus, urban college that consists of a 70-acre main campus across from William Land Park. The College has two educational centers, one in Davis on the campus of the University of California, Davis, and one in West Sacramento located adjacent to the public library, community center, and civic center. SCC is a vibrant teaching and learning institution with approximately 20,000 day and evening students and is recognized as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution ( HSI ) and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution ( AANAPISI ).
SCC has a rich history in the community and has expanded educational opportunities to students across the region. SCC awards Associate in Arts or Science degrees as well as Associate Degrees for Transfer, which guarantee transfer into the California State University system. The College offers Career Education certificates and degrees, transfer credit for students who desire to continue their education at a four-year college or university, and instruction in basic skills such as English, English as a second language, and mathematics.
Faculty and staff at SCC value a collaborative and diverse campus community. As one of four colleges within the Los Rios Community College District, Sacramento City College embraces change, values excellence in academic achievement, and supports the success of students as they pursue their dreams.
Under the direction of the assigned manager, coordinate student success and support related programs, components and activities; assist in the planning, coordination, implementation and delivery of support programs and services associated with the college plans. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employees Association (White Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here ].
This position is assigned to the HSI (Hispanic Serving Institution) department.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 5 & 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRCEA contract agreement details.)
● Oversees one or more college student support programs.
● Provides coordination and planning for assigned program activities and events.
● Assists in conducting program review and strategic planning for the assigned college programs.
● Assists in ensuring compliance with and implementation of student services related to regulations, policies, and procedures.
● Gathers and maintains data and statistical information in an effort to ensure appropriate services are provided to students in compliance with district and state regulations, policies, and procedures.
● Participates in recommending and monitoring systems to provide and track support services to students.
● Budgets development and coordination, and preparation of the required state and district reports.
● Attends college, district, and department meetings in an effort to assist in ensuring coordination of support services and follow-up activities.
● Communicates with and advises students to move them through the Steps to Success and core services of assessment and educational planning.
● Assists students in their academic career by providing them referrals and resources to meet their educational and vocational career objectives.
● Presents activities to connect students to college programs and services.
● Develops, coordinates, and conducts transition workshops and activities for entering students coming directly from high school.
● Assists in planning and coordinating follow-up and retention activities for at-risk students including those on probation and dismissal.
● Prepares announcements, newsletters, and other forms of communication regarding career education events, activities, programs, and initiatives for dissemination to college personnel and students.
● Assists with the development and presentation of professional development activities for faculty and staff to support student success.
● Performs related duties as assigned.
This position is located in the Hispanic Serving Institution department and requires effectively communicating with students, families and community members.
The focus of the Student Support Specialist is to support the federal funded HSI Title V. Grant project titled the Early College Program ( ECP ). HSI - ECP will focus on early college initiatives and introduce our Latinx and low-income high school students to college via participation in Dual Enrollment. The Specialist is to provide outreach support, college access and student services for students who are Spanish speaking and/or have family members who are Spanish-speaking only. The Specialist works collaboratively with existing programs such as HSI - SESI, Puente, RASA Center and Undocu-Resource Program, and others.
Work Year 12 month Work Schedule
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Total Hrs per Week/Day 40 hours per week Special Requirements Minimum Qualifications
EXPERIENCE : Two years of related experience in student services on a college campus or in a community agency that provides comparable services to students or diverse community members.
EDUCATION : Completion of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, in an area related to the assignment. NOTE : Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
Education must be from an accredited institution.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (required)
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required)
4. Letter of Interest (required)
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
● Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Physical Demands Salary $4,824.23 per month Additional Salary Information No additional salary information to note
Posting Date 05/24/2021 Closing Date 06/28/2021 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Quicklink https://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/15154 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the
question below, I certify that the information provided by me is
true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.
I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and
on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from
liability all persons and organizations furnishing such
information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf
and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document