Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $700 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Whitman College is building a diverse academic community and especially encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's learning environment. Whitman College is an EEO employer.
To provide for and supervise a full-service department; establishing and maintaining policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely registration of students, academic record and personal information maintenance, evaluation of transfer and international student records, honors and baccalaureate degrees, assures confidentiality of all student records.
Responsible for the following areas:
- Interpretation and application of academic rules and regulations.
- Preparation of the weekly agenda and documentation for the Board of Review as well as meeting attendance and follow up correspondence to students.
- Preparation of academic warning, probation, suspension and dismissal reports for the Board of Review and the Academic Council and all follow up communication to students.
- Veterans Affairs certifying official.
- Eligibility for honors (academic distinction, undergraduate honors, honors in major studies, and honors in course).
- Eligibility for participation in intercollegiate athletics. In conjunction with the faculty athletics representative provides athletes and coaches with interpretations of conference and national eligibility rules.
- Certification of attendance, level, grades and/or degree dates of students as required for loans, benefits, scholarships, insurance or various programs through the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Posting of all incomplete and deferred grades as well as the replacement grades upon completion of requirements.
- Service on committees as designated by faculty legislation or appointment, by legislation this currently includes ex-officio membership to the Board of Review, Off Campus Studies Committee, and Curriculum Committee.
- Preparation of budget requests for the Registrar's Office.
- Hiring and training of new staff as well as providing the opportunity for continuing staff development.
- Liaison between the Registrar's Office and Technology Services to assure adequate communication concerning the analysis, development and evaluation of computer oriented systems for the Registrar's Office.
- Providing documentation for auditors in coordination with the Office of Financial Aid and the Business Office.
Responsible for oversight of the following areas:
- Academic registration and post-registration processes.
- Maintainance and updates of the academic records system in accordance with the policies of the college and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Procedures are expected to meet the requirements of accrediting agencies.
- Granting of credit under the Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs.
- Preparation of the schedule of classes and the academic portion of the catalog.
- Final approval of transfer credit with decisions generally based on recommendations of departments, advisers, OCS, and the Whitman College Transfer Evaluator.
- Consistent with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), provide academic departments and faculty advisers with student data, including class schedules, grades, academic records and other resource information.
- Transcript service for students and alumni.
- Custodian of the official college seal.
- Establish and administer the office procedures for the confidentiality of student records within the framework of institutional policy and FERPA.
- Submission of grades by faculty and oversight of all grade disputes.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with students, parents, faculty, and staff and other professional college constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer software, including ability to master specialized college and departmental administrative software programs.
- Understanding of basic data analysis techniques and statistical procedures.
- Possession of effective organizational and interpersonal communications skills in order to advance and sustain consensus, and to promote the objectives and policies of both the Registrar's Office as well as the wider institution.
The Registrar must possess a bachelor's degree (master's preferred) with a minimum of five years of progressive experience and responsibility in a records management setting within a higher education institution. The individual must demonstrate effective knowledge of academic policies; institutional, state, and federal regulations and compliance issues; higher education governance; and best practices regarding the maintenance of academic records and management of registration services. Additional requirements include: excellent technology skills involved in the management of complex academic record systems, including document imaging and web applications, and an ability to integrate new technologies into the services available from the Office of the Registrar. An appreciation of, and support for, the liberal arts and sciences perspective should be demonstrated, as well.
The search committee will begin to review applications on June 21.
July 15, 2021
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=75