Managing Editor - Daily Egyptian
Title: Managing Editor - Daily Egyptian
Position ID#: C.AP.978.000
Deadline to Apply: 06/21/2021
Application Deadline Type: or until filled
Job Category: Administrative/Professional
Department: School of Journalism-SIUC
College: College of Mass Communication and Media Arts-SIUC
Months of Appointment: 12-month
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Transcripts
Managing Editor of the The Daily Egyptian daily newspaper (print and online) in The School of Journalism at Southern Illinois University Carbondale, College of Mass Communication and Media Arts.
Established in 1947, The School of Journalism has 12 full-time faculty members who are accomplished scholars and professionals. The School of Journalism is a lab-based school where students have the opportunity to work for the school newspaper The Daily Egyptian, the Saluki AdLab or River Region Evening Edition. The Daily Egyptian, established in 1916, has a rich history and has consistently earned prestigious awards. The AdLab provides professional experience creating advertising for various businesses in Southern Illinois. River Region Evening Edition is a four-night a week live newscast on the PBS affiliate WSIU-TV. The School has specializations in Journalism, Advertising and Mass Communications. The School offers a Bachelor of Science in Journalism, an on-line Bachelor of Science in Journalism and Mass Communication; a Science Journalism minor begins in fall of 2021. Our faculty guide students not only in the use of the latest technologies, but also in developing an understanding of the social, political and economic contexts of the media they produce and analyze. Within the next three years, a completely-renovated building with a state-of-the art converged newsroom will be built. Faculty and students work closely with the University's public radio and television stations, WSIU- FM & WSIU-TV, which are located in the building, as well as with the Department of Cinema & Photography and the Department of Radio, Television, and Digital Media.
Knowledge of newspaper layout, editing, requesting FOIAs, media law and ethics are integral to this position. The selected individual mentors and trains the student reporters on journalistic practices but gives them the freedom to produce a newspaper in their own voices. In addition, this selected individual has to stay up-to-date with new technologies that are used in journalism.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Train, mentor and advise student editorial staff and reporters on principles and standards of professional journalism through formal and informal meetings.
- Organize workshops each semester to train the DE student staff or to refresh their skills and keep them up to date.
- Review stories before they are released to check for grammar and journalistic balance.
- Critique each day's news report-whether online, print, or social media.
- Be accessible to the DE staff on the day(s) of their deadlines.
- Consult with the Business and Advertising Manager on a regular basis to make sure that advertising revenue is in line with the expense of running the Daily Egyptian.
- Teach a class each semester, including the summer session.
- Meet regularly with the Director of the SOJ to discuss issues and direction.
- Meet with the DE Policy and Review Board to discuss, review and set policies.
- Consult with the DE Policy and Review Board on selection the student editor and advertising manager.
- Coordinate entries for student journalism competitions, awards, and scholarships.
- Chaperone any student travel to conferences or award ceremonies if necessary.
- Liaison to the community and national organizations relevant to the operation of the DE.
Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree, and a minimum of 10 years tested professional experience as a reporter, editor with a newspaper publication.
Examples of tested professional experience include but are not limited to: 5 or more years at a top 30 news market organization as defined by Nielsen Advertising markets, receipt of regional or national awards, evidence of effective prior teaching experience in a 4-year college setting, expert experience as a consultant offering workshops and/or seminars, and expertise in an area such as sports, science or other specialized subject.
College/university-level teaching experience, news writing, news and/or sports reporting, producing, multimedia journalism, and/or investigative reporting in a digital environment.
How to apply:
Click: Managing Editor – Daily Egyptian
Apply for Position, at bottom left of page
Complete all steps of the application process.
You will be contacted via email if you are chosen for an interview and when the position has been filled.
SIU Carbondale, member of the SIU System, is an anti-racist community that opposes racism, discrimination and inequity in any form, and embraces diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice for all people.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer of
individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its
ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to
serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed
and encouraged and will receive consideration.