Glynn/McIntosh Counties Agriculture & Natural Resources Agent
Posting Number F0896P Working Title Glynn/McIntosh Counties Agriculture & Natural Resources Agent Department CAES-Southeast District CES About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia ( UGA ), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education ( https://www.uga.edu/ ). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
UGA Cooperative Extension was founded in 1914 to bring research-based agricultural information to the people of Georgia. County agents and specialists throughout the state share information on issues like water quality, profitability in agribusiness, family wellness, and life skills. County agents provide soil and water test kits and instruction, advice on safe pesticide use, publications, computer programs, and lessons in consumer skills to improve Georgians’ quality of life. They are the local experts in food safety, proper eating habits, child safety, and parenting. UGA Extension coordinates 4-H, Georgia’s largest youth program. Each year, almost 200,000 young Georgians participate in community projects, summer camps, and conferences on today’s issues while having fun and learning to work together. The leadership skills and values they learn in 4-H last a lifetime. UGA Extension reaches more than 2.6 million Georgians through education programs each year. Millions more rely on UGA Extension’s publications, educational news articles, and public television programming for advice and information.
College/Unit/Department website https://extension.uga.edu/about/districts--facilities--and-centers/southeast-district.html Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS or ORP Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Minorities & Females Advertised Salary Minimum $47,000/year starting for Master’s Degree (Bachelor’s $36,000) as well as an excellent benefits package as a faculty member of the University of Georgia. Reimbursement for business travel will be provided. Anticipated Start Date 08/01/2021 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 05/21/2021 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Location of Vacancy Other South Georgia Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (email@example.com).
Classification Title Public Service Professional AC FLSA Faculty Rank Open Rank Contract Type Fiscal (12 mo.) Tenure Status Non-Tenure Track Minimum Qualifications
Master’s degree (bachelor’s degree is sufficient for provisional hires)
The McIntosh/Glynn ANR Agent will provide and develop an agriculture and natural resources educational program to the citizens and stakeholders. The successful candidate will focus on water and water issues relevant to the coast and offer educational opportunities in the areas of ornamental horticulture, production agriculture, and arboriculture. Both counties have a rich history of horticulture ag, which will be a major area of focus. The incumbent will oversee and supervise Master Gardener volunteers for each respective counties. It is expected that successful programmatic collaboration will involve personnel from UGA Marine Extension/Sea Grant and the water program assistant in southeast district.
This position requires frequent night meetings, some weekend work, and attendance at out-of-county meetings. Authorized travel expenses are reimbursed.
A Master’s degree in Agriculture or related area.
A Bachelor’s degree is acceptable for a Public Service Provisional appointment. This provisional faculty classification is offered for no more than three years without review. You may apply for a regular service faculty appointment upon completion of an advanced degree or successful progression through the public service promotion process. See the University of Georgia Guidelines for Appointments and Promotions for Public Service and Outreach Academic Rank for complete details http://outreach.uga.edu/policies/appointment-and-promotion-guidelines/
Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
-Competency to supervise staff employees
-Computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
-Ability to speak to/teach large groups of residents
-Ability to organize and carry out activities and programming for youth
-Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county, district, and state staff, local government employees, and clientele
-Ability to show high standards of professionalism in personal contacts, appearance, and work habits
-Ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely through written and verbal communication
-Ability to work as a team member and engage with groups and committees
-Ability to design, coordinate, and teach educational programs to meet community needs
-Skills in leadership and management
Physical Demands Is this a Position of Trust? Yes Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? No Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Is driving a responsibility of this position? Yes Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care? Yes Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications) Yes Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
•Provides educational programming related to Agriculture & Natural Resources in Glynn and McIntosh Counties. This includes managing the Agricultural & Natural Resources program in Glynn and McIntosh Counties by providing educational opportunities in production agriculture, horticulture, and natural resources to a wide variety of audiences utilizing multiple teaching methods.
• Utilizes the expertise of and works closely with advisory groups, community leaders, public officials and representatives of intended audiences to analyze data, identify needs, and assist in developing educational programs
• Develops a plan of work that is equitable in meeting the needs of the county’s varied socio-economic population
• Provide educational programming relevant to water and water related issues pertinent to the geographical work area. Water education involving youth will be incorporated into the overall plan of work.
• Teaching methods will include face to face programming and virtual digital delivery.
Percentage Of Time 65 Duties/Responsibilities
• Develops and conducts relevant interdisciplinary programs with other staff members based on critical issues
• Collaborates with other agencies and community groups to plan and implement programs
• Conducts promotional efforts to expand the public’s view of extension programming
• Utilizes current research data and information on emerging issues in program development and teaching
Percentage Of Time 15 Duties/Responsibilities
• Provides reporting of ANR activities via UGA software programming.
• Demonstrates personal interest and involvement in the community by participating in and supporting civic/community activities/organizations and networking with community leaders
• Ensures the Civil Rights/Equal Opportunity plan of UGA Cooperative Extension is followed and that volunteers and clientele understand Cooperative Extension offers educational programs, assistance, and materials to all people without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status.
Percentage Of Time 20 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position is located in Glynn County, Brunswick, GA. This
position will also serve McIntosh County, Darien, GA. Are you
willing to work from both locations?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- List of References with Contact Information
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens