Technical Support Consultant
Technical Support Consultant
Administration and Finance Division
Description of College / Department / Program / Division / Unit
ITS -Client Services
This position works under the general supervision of the Director of Client Services and work within the established goals and priorities consistent with the goals of Information Technology Services ( ITS ). This position provides desktop support for faculty and staff for hardware, software and operating systems including troubleshooting and problem resolution. Effective customer services, issue resolution, follow-up, and communications are essential in this position. The employee works on special projects and assignments related to desktop hardware and software, writes, edits, and updates documentation for end-users, and conducts consultation and small group training on support topics as needed.
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree in information technology, information systems, computer science, educational/academic technology, training & development or related fields.
• At least two years of related work experience.
• Experience in providing technical and problem-solving support in a Windows and/or MAC OS environment.
• Expertise with Windows Office Suite.
• Experience in providing support for e-mail, anti-virus and malware removal.
• Understanding and/or experience in detecting potential cyber security attacks and breaches, and how to resolve common problems. Experience and understanding of cyber security issues such as phishing, ransomware, and related attacks and providing protection and resolution of issues.
• Ability to communicate clearly, tactfully and effectively with co-workers, staff, faculty, students, other stakeholders both aurally and in written modes.
• Ability to work under time constraints, demonstrates flexibility, and can meet deadlines.
• Three years professional experience in working in a Client Services, IT Help Desk Environment, or related field.
• Experience in working in a higher education environment.
• Experience in evaluating and recommending software application tools.
• Experience in working in an enterprise VoIP environment and providing support with an associated software tools.
• Experience utilizing Help Desk ticketing system such as Web Help Desk.
• Proven record of accomplishment of excellent communications and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
• Ability to translate complex technical information into usable, easy-to-follow instructions either in written or oral forms.
• Ability to diagnosis complex hardware and software problems in both Windows and Mac environments.
• Aptitude for working with diverse faculty and staff in addressing both future and immediate needs.
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate creative problem solving and troubleshooting skills while addressing the variety of technology problems crucial to the position.
• Ability to lift approximately 25 pounds.
Working conditions and environment
• Ability to travel to unit approved meetings (minimal).
• Potential to work additional hours beginning of and end of academic year to meet academic deadlines or in critical or emergency situations.
Your benefits add an additional 40%+ to the overall financial package from the university.
• 22 days of vacation for 12-month positions (that are non-instructional)
• excellent flexible health insurance with low co-pays and good coverage.
• paid holidays and sick days.
• sick leave may be converted at retirement to pay for health insurance post-work at UWL .
• after 5 years of employment, you become vested in our retirement system which ensures income post-career.
• benefits at UWL are highly competitive with local industry and some of the strongest in state and nation.
Learn more at: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/fasl20.pdf
Benefit eligibility is determined at point of hire. This information is provided for illustrative purposes only. Benefits are also pro-rated based on the appointment percentage.
The University of Wisconsin System and the University of Wisconsin–Madison are engaged in a redesign of job title and compensation structures. The Title and Total Compensation Project will result in relevant and market-informed titles to help us keep and grow our outstanding workforce. If you are the successful candidate, your title is subject to change in November 2021. For more information, visit: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/
These are the job duties required for the position.
Posting Detail Information
Continuous Recruitment First Review Date
Position Contact Name
Position Contact Email
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Contact Information
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the
identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing,
except that the identity of the successful candidate will be
released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
- I prefer my identity remain confidential and have read and understand that if I am the successful candidate for this position, my name may be released.
- I do not request that my identity remain confidential.
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education Web Site
- Discipline-Specific Publication/Web Site
- HERC Web Site
- HigherEdJobs.com Web Site
- Job Center of Wisconsin Web Site
- Minority Publication/Web Site
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Social Media (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Web Site
- La Crosse Tribune
- Personal Referral
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse
- Technology Administration/Other Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in La Crosse