Lakeshore Campus Facilities Supervisor
Posting Number S01396 Position Title Lakeshore Campus Facilities Supervisor Internal Position Title Lakeshore Campus Facilities Supervisor Department Custodial, LSC Position Type Staff Job Family Specialist Job Summary
Under the administrative supervision of the Assistant Director, the LSC Supervisor exercises independent judgment in carrying out the responsibilities of the position. Plans, supervises, coordinates and controls the installation, repair and maintenance building functions including electrical, HVAC, mechanical, custodial and campus safety at the Lakeshore Campus in addition to supervising and monitoring custodians in a three shift operation assigned to the Lakeshore Campus. Develops departmental goals, administers budget line items, and completes staff performance evaluations.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 13 paid holidays each year.
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
Pending Board Approval
• Associate degree or equivalent combination of college, specialized training and progressively responsible experience.
• Five years’ work experience in general building maintenance services, two of which must be in a supervisory or lead capacity. Experience to include general maintenance including electrical, plumbing, and HVAC, including troubleshooting and control systems. Experience supervising in a union operation preferred.
• Ability to fully support the mission and values of the College.
• Ability to communicate effectively with varying levels of staff and external agencies and the ability to work effectively with individuals and teams from diverse backgrounds and professional responsibilities.
• Working knowledge of inspection procedures and state/local building codes as related to HVAC, electrical, plumbing and carpentry.
• Ability to read and interpret technical manuals pertaining to facilities and equipment installed and serviced.
• Practical and demonstrated problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Computer proficiency including beginner/intermediate Word skills and intermediate Excel skills.
• Working knowledge of inspection procedures and OSHA standards.
• Prior budget line-item responsibility.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required including strong interpersonal and project management skills.
• Ability to handle all situations with tact, persuasiveness, and diplomacy.
• Solid analytical skills, strong attention to detail, and excellent organizational skills with the ability to plan, work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize work.
• Ability to influence, lead, motivate, and develop staff.
• Ability to push, pull, lift, and carry up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis, and 70 lbs. on an occasional basis, and maneuver in tight places (in and around machinery), with or without reasonable accommodations.
• Ability to work on lifts or ladders, with or without reasonable accommodations.
• Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
• Associates degree.
• Stationary Engineer License.
• OSHA training and/or certification preferred.
• Two years supervisory experience.
• Experience supervising in a union environment.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Posting Date 05/21/2021 Closing Date 06/20/2021 Expected Start Date 07/06/2021 Special Instructions Summary
This position is pending board approval
Pay Rate The salary is competitive. Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Location Lakeshore Total Hours per week 40.00 Work Schedule
Monday – Friday, Hours 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Software Testing Required MS Word Interview Process Requirements None EEO Statement
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Leadership and Personnel Management: 60%
• Coordinates work between HVAC staff, Maintenance staff, Custodial staff, campus managers, and outside contractors.
• Supervises assigned staff on multiple shifts, including maintenance, custodial and contractors. Coordinates with Grayslake Campus Supervisors & Leads as needed to ensure timely repairs or maintenance of campus equipment and building functions are completed, which includes assurance of proper staffing levels and the proactive planning for staff paid time off. Ensures timely handling of all emergency, complex and/or major repairs of College at the Lakeshore Campus.
• Manages and administers the College’s work order system. Writes and receives work orders; plans, supervises, and monitors work of all staff. Schedules custodial staff and operations during college closings and class breaks to ensure coverage, assist in snow removal, and permit nightshift relief.
• Interviews and recommends staff for hire. Monitors staff performance and completes performance evaluations. Fosters a productive working environment. Maintains knowledge of union contract in order to ensure compliance. Upholds the collective bargaining agreement addressing disciplinary action items in a fair, consistent, timely and proactive manner. Identifies training needs of staff and facilitates delivery of training. Trains staff in procedures and safe usage of equipment.
• Maintains an accurate record of attendance & ensures employee time sheets are properly recorded prior to submission to Payroll Department. Managing overtime and call back pay as needed noting specifics as justification for the expenditure.
• Works with campus leadership to coordinate essential support at special events, banquets, department moves and campus projects.
Department Operations, Procedures and Budget Management: 35%
• Establishes and maintains appropriate inventory levels of all facility, maintenance, and custodial supplies. Analyzes and prepares report for any variances or inventory shrinks.
Coordinates with the Manager, Environmental Health & Safety for any MSDS updates.
• Inspects buildings and related equipment and provides input for maintenance of equipment. Develops and implements a system to ensure maintaining proper level of cleanliness in assigned areas.
• Assists in the development of the Lakeshore Campus facilities budget line items. Administers budget line items including supplies, labor/staffing costs including overtime, training, and other spends in order to meet budget targets. Analyzes variance of actual to budget on monthly basis, identifies any corrective actions needed and implements and monitors results.
• Coordinate activities of pest control, refuse, and recycling collection as instructed by Assistant Director, Facilities. Supports the College’s Sustainability initiatives.
• Recommends and carries out annual departmental goals in coordination with the Assistant Director, Facilities and Director, Business Operations. Tracks and prepares quarterly report of progress toward annual goal attainment.
• Ensures collection and proper disposal of chemical and bio-hazard waste.
• Enforces College Safety standards and OSHA standards. Assists in investigations of safety incidents. Identifies root cause of incident and implements appropriate corrective actions.
• Serves on the Lakeshore Campus Operations Team and college committees as appropriate.
• Performs other related duties as assigned by the Assistant Director, Facilities and/or Director, Business Operations.
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an Associates degree or an equivalent combination
of college, specialized training and progressively responsible
- * Do you have five years’ work experience in general building
maintenance services, two of which must be in a supervisory or lead
capacity? (Experience to include general maintenance including
electrical, plumbing, and HVAC, including troubleshooting and
- * Do you have a valid driver’s license and clean driving
- * Do you have a Stationary Engineer License?
- * Do you have OSHA training and/or certification?
- * Do you have experience supervising in a union environment?
- * Are you bilingual in Spanish and English?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in Gages Lake
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Gages Lake