Title: Campus Dean
Anticipated Closing Date: June 13,2021
Number of Positions: 1
Position #: 100540
Type of Appointment: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Magnolia Avenue Programs
Location of Position: Magnolia Ave Campus
Required Documents Needed to Upload at Time of Application:
· Cover Letter
· Unofficial Transcripts
· Three professional references (See below)
Reference check requirements:
· Non-supervisory roles: three (3) current or former supervisors
· Supervisory roles: two (2) current or former supervisors and one (1) current or former direct report
· Personal references (friends, co-workers, clergy, customers, relatives) are not considered acceptable references
About Magnolia Avenue Programs
Pellissippi State’s Magnolia Avenue Campus opened in 2000 in the heart of Knoxville. We usually house about 600 students each semester at this campus. The Magnolia Avenue Campus is easily accessible by car or by public transportation, or even by foot for residents of downtown and surrounding areas.
About Pellissippi State Community College
Pellissippi State Community College is one of 40 institutions in the Tennessee Board of Regents system. TBR is the governing board of the College System of Tennessee, offering more than 400 programs of study at the state’s 13 community colleges, 27 colleges of applied technology and the online TN eCampus. The college serves an average of 10,000 students, making it the largest community college in Tennessee by enrollment. Pellissippi State Community College offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement programs, time off including annual and sick leave, and much more.
In 2018, Pellissippi State became a member of an Achieve the Dream (ATD) three-year cohort adopting a theme of Start Strong, Stay Strong, Finish Strong for our work. Achieve the Dream has partnered with the program Integrated Student Experience at Pellissippi State (Insteps) to improve the fall-to-fall retention rates for full-time and part-time students by 13% in the next five years. Our vision is to ensure every student who attends Pellissippi State will develop a sense of belonging and confidence in their ability to succeed academically, grow intellectually, and make timely progress towards achieving their educational and vocational goals. If this is something that aligns with your values, we encourage you to apply.
Culture and Diversity
Knoxville claims a wide range of forward thinking national and international talents. The scholarly influence on the Knoxville metropolitan area bred literary greats including James Agee, Cormac McCarthy, and Nikki Giovanni. Knoxville is home to one of the largest sculptures dedicated to an African American in the country. Located in Haley Heritage Square is a 13-foot high bronze statue of author and Pulitzer Prize winner Alex Haley who chose to spend the last several years of his life in Knoxville. Renowned artists Beauford Delaney and Joseph Delaney hailed from Knoxville. Musicians Roy Acuff, Chet Atkins, the Everly Brothers, and RB Morris called Knoxville home during their careers. Women’s suffragist Lizzie Crozier French was active in the ratification of the 19thamendment and was born and raised in Knoxville.
The lasting influence of these artists and activists leaves the Knoxville area as a welcoming area to live and work. More about the area and support groups can be found at Visit Knoxville https://www.visitknoxville.com , the Beck Cultural Exchange Center https://www.beckcenter.net , the Knoxville Urban League https://thekaul.org , Knoxville City https://knoxvilletn.gov , Knox County https://knoxcounty.org , My Knox Village http://myknoxvillage.com/business-directory/wpbdp_category/special-needsdisability-services/ , Knox Pride https://knoxpride.com/equality , Centro Hispano de East TN https://www.centrohispanotn.org , and Knoxville chamber https://www.knoxvillechamber.com
Position Summary: The Campus Dean is the executive administrator of their assigned site and is responsible for the development, advancement, advocacy, strategic planning, facility planning/maintenance, and safety & security of the campus community. This position is accountable for daily supervision and performance of 10-12 staff members from multiple college divisions. Deans routinely advance the College mission by collaborating with all college departments and the local community leaders, civic organizations, and other educational institutions. The Campus Dean position encompasses a broad range of tasks and responsibilities. The position is the primary point of contact and must be involved in every aspect of campus business and activities.
15% Ensure that comprehensivestudent servicesare provided at site campus. These services include onboarding, admissions, records, financial aid, placement testing, advising, disability services, student life and recreation, counseling, career placement, tutoring, and business office functions. This function requires collaboration and coordination with Hardin Valley Campus offices and personnel. Provide cross-training opportunities for site campus personnel, when appropriate.
15% Accountable fordaily supervision and performance of staff membersfrom multiple college divisions. Maintain communication with department supervisors to collaborate on job performance requirements, performance reviews, monitor work attendance, and approve payroll for personnel who work for one department but are assigned to a site campus location.
15% Serve as lead crisis manager for the campus by enforcing Student Code of Conduct. Provide asafe campus environmentby collaborating with Safety and Security, the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT), and the Dean of Students (judicial officer). Address a myriad ofissues and problemsof varying levels of complexity and severity. It is the Campus Dean’s primary responsibility to mediate and resolve conflicts between students, faculty, staff and visitors.
15% Leadfacility planningfor the campus. Collaborate with Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Administration and Finance, Business and Community Services, and Information Services to ensure that appropriate campus facilities are in place to support student learning. Identify building/property concerns and coordinate routine maintenance, planned renovations and external vendor interface.
15% Represent the College in thecommunityby interacting and collaborating with community leaders and civic organizations to advance the mission of the College .Annually design and create the Summer institute for 100-150 students from Austin East and Fulton High Schools in a collaboration with Project GRAD, hiring over 25 faculty and staff, managing a 3 week experience at the Hardin Valley Campus with preparation beginning in the Fall semester preceding the institute
5% Manage site campus student life activitiesto include, but not limited to, student activities board, student success support program, sustainability initiative, service learning team leader, and new student orientation leaders.
10% Manage campusbudgetsto ensure successful execution of campus programming. In addition to the campus budget this position manages a separate budget for the Summer Institute.
Note: The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time.
· Master’s degree from an accredited institution in education, management or related fields
· Five years of progressively responsible work experience in education, organizational leadership, or management
Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% credit of full-time work experience
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to apply interpersonal communication skills and team-building strategies
· Ability to develop, cultivate and manage internal and external relationships
· Ability to engage and network with the community
· Ability to analyze data, improve systems and effectively solve problems
· Strong presentation skills
· Demonstrates a strong ability to de-escalate and resolve conflict
· Ability to build consensus
· Ability to advocate for student and campus needs
· Ability to work in ambiguity
· Ability to establish short-term and long-term goals, recognize priorities and work independently with minimal supervision
· Ability to effectively delegate responsibility and supervise and/or facilitate work activities amongst a variety of individuals and departments
· Demonstrates a commitment and passion for the community college experience
Key Result Areas: Student and employee satisfaction and morale, student services programming, enrollment growth, student engagement and retention, community involvement and engagement, expanding and enhancing academic opportunities.
Scope of Responsibility:
· Provide the appropriate response to emerging situations,
· Effectively delegate responsibility and supervise and/or facilitate work activities of a variety of individuals and departments.
· Engage others through strong interpersonal communication skills and team-building strategies.
· Analyze data, improve systems, and effectively solve problems.
· Establish short-term and long-term goals, recognize priorities, and work independently with minimal supervision.
· Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Develop and deliver speeches and other public addresses.
· Resolve conflict involving employees, students or others
· Make independent decisions.
· Organize and conduct meetings.
· Conduct investigations and research situations of conflict and/or discrepancy.
· Analyze laws/policies/procedures/requirements and determine internal compliance.
· Gain employee buy-in for new ideas and changes.
· Lead strategic planning efforts for the Magnolia Avenue Campus.
· Use and/or learn various required software.
· Design, Create and implement special outreach programs
Knowledge of the following areas is required to perform this job:
· FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
· Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
· Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (sex discrimination)
· Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
· Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965
· Pellissippi State and TBR policies related to admissions and records
· Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Policy 2:02:10:01 Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment
· TBR Policy 5:01:02:00 Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action
· TBR Guideline P-080 Discrimination and Harassment—Complaint and Investigation Procedures
· Pellissippi State Policy 00:03:00 Equal Opportunity and Non-discrimination in Education and Employment
· Pellissippi State Policy 04:02:00 Academic Classroom Conduct and Disciplinary Sanctions
Physical Demands: Normal office related physical demands, such as sitting or standing for long periods, walking, light lifting (approximately 20 lbs.). Incumbent travels to other campuses and throughout the community, as necessary, for conducting college business.
Pay Rate: $64,070 - $80,540/per year. Pay will be determined based on related work experience above required. To be considered in determining pay, all related work experience must be listed on the application. This is an exempt level position.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for a position at Pellissippi State, you must create an on-line application. Your skills, abilities, qualifications, and years of experience will be evaluated using only what is recorded on your application. Work experience that is not listed on the application will not be considered towards compensation. Please note: attaching a resume does not substitute for completion of the application form. Part-time work experience is calculated at 50% of full-time experience. Please note: to scan, upload, or attach documents, a computer and scanner are available at the Hardin Valley Campus Educational Resources Center, if needed.
Pellissippi State Community College is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer
If you have any problems or questions please contact Human Resources at Pellissippi State Community College’s Human Resource Office at 865-694-6607 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
A summary of our benefits can be found at http://www.pstcc.edu/hr/benefits
If you are interested in this position, click on the link to the left to apply.