Lieutenant, District Safety
Lieutenant, District Safety & Security
Rancho Santiago Community College District
Salary Range: Grade H: $92,052.75 - $96,654.74 - $101,481.53 - $106,559.55 - $111,888.86 - $117,483.31 - $123,357.47/yearEffective 07/01/2021: Grade H: $94,814.33 - $99,554.38 - $104,525.98 - $109,756.34 - $115,245.53 - $121,007.81 - $127,058.19/year
Job Number: CL21-00093
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Division: Business Operations & Fiscal Services
Closing: 6/16/2021 5:00 PM Pacific
Under the general supervision and direction of the Chief, of District Safety/Security, performs duties to ensure the safety and protection of students, staff and visitors; safety and security of facilities and grounds, equipment and materials; and other related assignments. Serves as a Deputy to the Chief, District Safety/Security in planning, organizing, directing and supervising the work performed by subordinate department personnel at an assigned college. Provides day-to-day management of department operations at assigned locations. Provides input and makes recommendations to improve departmental operations, policies and procedures. Performs patrol duties.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates Sergeants, Senior District Safety Officers, District Safety Officers, clerical/dispatch staff and student assistants on assigned shift;
- Monitors departmental operations to ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
- Participates in the selection and disciplinary processes; ensures adequate staffing to meet safety and security needs, including authorizing short-term changes to normal assignments or assigning and supervising additional staff for special events;
- Investigates complaints against the department and recommends appropriate action.
- Assists the Chief, District Safety/Security in the administrative needs of the department;
- Reviews incident reports, activity logs and related written materials to ensure all incidents are properly documented; provides oversight and inventory of departmental equipment and vehicles; monitors alarm systems and ensures proper operation;
- Recommends budget modifications, staffing/scheduling changes;
- Implements and assesses departmental training programs. Supervises training of new officers on district and departmental policies, procedures and activities. May serve as a training officer.
- When required, acts as Chief, in his/her absence. May occasionally be required to work other shifts and locations; provides on-call availability for serious incidents.
- Reviews and maintains department policies, regulations and operational procedures. Ensures that officers understand and perform in compliance with established policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Interacts positively with campus community members on a daily basis and assists members in identifying potential safety and/or criminal problems; provides escorts and money transports; writes reports and activity logs; communicates and coordinates activities with subordinate staff; maintain positive working relations with department members, students, staff and college community.
- Responds to incidents and emergencies by taking appropriate actions; investigates crimes and complaints; provides first aid and CPR if needed;
- Serves as liaison with law enforcement and other outside agencies;
- Ensure all serious incidents are appropriately handled and documented and that appropriate authorities are notified.
- Assist with emergency preparedness planning and training; conducts public awareness programs and presentations on safety, security and crime prevention to staff and students.
- Attends workshops and training sessions to enhance professional knowledge and skills.
- Provides leadership and demonstrates by example a community policing model for this District, including participation in committees, participatory governance, crime prevention and other problem solving approaches to law enforcement in education.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
This position reports to the Chief, District Safety/Security and supervises Sergeants, Senior District Safety Officers, District Safety Officers, clerical/dispatch staff, and student assistants on assigned shift at various locations. This position also has responsibility to work closely with the Vice President Administrative Services and senior management at assigned location.
Training and Experience
- Post-secondary education equivalent to a Bachelor's degree or an associate degree plus two years of relevant work experience in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Five years of progressively responsible law enforcement, security or public safety experience, including 2 years in lead or a supervisory capacity.
- Prior to hire, completion of P.O.S.T. approved School Security or Campus Law Enforcement course, (S.B. 1626), or School Peace Officer course plus state-mandated courses required to carry firearms (BSIS Guard card and either BSIS exposed Firearm carry or PC 832 Powers of arrest and search with Firearms component).
- Training in chemical agents, including pepper spray, and baton (defensive impact weapon).
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR.
- Possess a valid California Driver's License with a driving record that meets the standards established by the District.
- Must be physically fit, and pass written, oral and psychological background testing.
- Principles, methods, techniques and strategies pertaining to a comprehensive community college district safety and security and Community Orientated Policing.
- Legal mandates, policies, regulations and operating procedures related to community college safety, security.
- Practices, procedures, techniques and strategies for determining operational effectiveness.
- Operational safety standards and normally accepted standards of conduct and ethics.
- Principles and practices of disaster and emergency response.
- Safety and Security practices and principles, including: basic exemplary leadership concepts; rules of evidence; vehicle code and traffic control; first aid, CPR, firearms, chemical agents (mace) and baton and appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Knowledge of pertinent provisions of ordinances and regulations of the County of Orange, and Education Code, and the Penal Code of California pertaining to the guarding and security of buildings and grounds and relating to theft and illegal entry into district property; hazards involved in security work.
- Perform all of the duties of the position effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Utilize all of the tools and equipment of the position in a safe and responsible manner.
- Analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine and take effective action.
- Use appropriate defense measures to protect self or others in adverse situations.
- Administer first aid in emergency situations.
- Use of two-way radio communication
- Operate a computer and assigned office equipment.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to interact both formally and informally with students, staff, outside agency personnel and the general public.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, cultural, disability, religious background and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Resolve confrontation, affect behavior of others, facilitate small group processes, supervise the work of others and review performance, and convey a positive image of the organization.
- Education experience (breadth and depth)
- Work experience (breadth and depth)
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Program development
- Community involvement
- Demonstrated experience in working with a diverse socio-economic community
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others
- Oral communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Successful teaching, problem solving or performance demonstration
- Writing skills/demonstration
- Resume (Required)
- Cover Letter (Required)
- Licenses and Certifications (Required)
- Unofficial transcripts showing that the minimum qualifications are met (Required)
To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/rsccd/jobs/3084763/lieutenant-district-safety-security