Research Network Engineer - Remote Opportunity
Research Network Engineer - Remote Opportunity
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Division of Information Technology Services (ITS) is currently seeking a talented individual to fill the role of Research Network Engineer (RNE) within the Networking team directly supporting research activities. This position will be responsible for all-things related to strengthening and augmenting connectivity throughout our extensive and diverse research enterprise initiatives. This includes contributing to training, creation of knowledgebase articles, and collaborating with the Customer Experience team to ensure proper support is maintained. Customer Experience is the first line of IT support for the university, and they will escalate to this role/team.
We are looking for a collaborative individual to work closely with the Customer Experience, Digital Studio, Systems & Cloud Services, Network Services, ServiceNow, and Enterprise Application teams to provide the best experience for our growing research environments. The ideal candidate should possess skills in problem solving, training/curriculum building, delegation, and innovative thinking.
Leveraging the extensive high performance computing infrastructure at the Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center (MGHPCC), the RNE will work to develop and deploy private cloud resources to the research community. In collaboration with other MGHPCC partners and major cloud vendors, the RNE will also work to integrate the Northeastern private research cloud infrastructure with commercial cloud resources and regional open-source cloud initiatives, with the goal of building a diverse research cloud platform for the university.
As a member of the larger Networking and Research Application Support teams, the qualified candidate will provide domain expertise in cloud networking technologies to best support a diverse range of research projects, interacting directly with faculty and students to support their computational science research across all scientific domains.
To ensure that essential services are provided to the university community, the employee may be required to work outside his/her regular working hours and university holidays.
Research Cloud Network Design & Implementation
- Contributes to requirements gathering, architecture, design, and implementation of research cloud services
- Designs, implements and enhances research focused data network systems
- Works directly with Research cloud engineers to identify and implement the network elements of cloud service offerings
- Accountable for the development, documentation, and maintenance of research cloud network services
- Accountable for verifying that network services meet appropriate compliance/governance requirements in collaboration with the Office of Information Security
- Integrates cloud services into HPC infrastructure monitoring systems at MGHPCC
- Designs and develops features such as monitoring dashboards, custom metrics, log search pattern and alarms
- Develops event or incident remediation workflows or actions to resolve issues
- Automate routine operational tasks or other maintenance actions
Campus Enterprise Network Design & Implementation
- Designs and implement enterprise campus(s) LAN/WAN infrastructure and services
- Work with network administrators and network analysts and the community to design and implement network solutions in support of business objectives
- Contributes to the maintenance, operation and support of campus(s) LAN/WAN infrastructure and services
- Accountable for verifying that network services and infrastructure meet appropriate compliance/governance requirements in collaboration with the Office of Information Security
- Provides escalation support for network services and infrastructure
Maintenance & Operations
- Monitor the research cloud infrastructure to ensure the availability and performance SLAs are met.
- Perform performance tuning when needed.
- Perform root cause analysis on incidents.
- Follow incident, change, release, and problem management processes.
- Review and modify documentation.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting on compliance programs
Mentorship & Advancement
- Mentor peers and junior members in operation and administration of existing and new research/cloud network technologies.
- Be an advocate for ITS and network services
- Attend conferences and workshops relevant to networking and cloud technologies to advance skills
- Stay current with emerging HPC and cloud technologies and trends
Participate in regional collaborations to advance skills, and expand the NU RC/NTS service catalog
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Technology related field.
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
Salary Grade: 13
A criminal background check is required for this position.
This is a remote opportunity.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/506413